It could, I wouldn't mind an italic code if the key combination wasn't ctrl-r, ctrl-i (what's left?) *and* if it was a sustainable character code

We have a serious problem already with control codes under vista because they use the non display character range (< 32) that vista will never render consistently as a box, no matter what font. Picking chr(4) for italics, for instance, would just perpetuate this huge issue that seriously needs to be looked at in future versions. Now is not the time to be adding more control codes, but to be solving the problem of what to do with our control codes in the future. I can't stress this enough.

Besides the character code that is chosen, we'd also have to look at support from the IRC community as well. mIRC can't just go and throw in a new control code and expect other clients to support it.. last time Khaled did that, he wasn't received very well, and even though mIRC pulled out of it, I think there is still a valuable lesson to be learned from that. If another control code is to be added, other clients should be informed of the change prior and be given time to comment on the implementation-- again, this goes back to what character code is inevitably chosen, and how to deal with the codes we have now, looking forward into Vista compatibility...

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"