@starbucks_mafia:

"How would you feel as a user if the admin on the machine uninstalled mIRC and the next time you logged on you found all of your settings, logs, downloaded files, scripts, sounds, and anything else you had stored in that folder were gone?"

You are obviously not a system administrator...

While I do not code and do not know the "recommended practices"...I do know poor etiquette.

When you are the ADMINISTRATOR of a machine, you control the applications a user can and can not use. Their data is YOUR data and that is that. If I decide that it is time to remove an application off of my network, then you had better hope that you are using the "recommended practice" of backing up your information. As when it is time to make a system change, you may be left screwed.

On a side note: In the past when mIRC used to uninstall, it did at one time remove everything from the \Program Files\mIRC directory that IT installed in there and not any extra scripts that you had put in there.

If the mIRC directory had been left in Application Data and ONLY had the scripts that I left in there, then I would have understood that.

But when an application is REMOVED then it should be REMOVED. That would include ALL settings and every other little bit of remnant of it. It is being removed for a reason and if you were planning on doing something with the data at a later time, you had better have had a backup.

"So I'm wondering, of the thousands of programs that follow this recommended practice, how many others have you written to whining about this?"

None, this is the first one. The rest of the programs that I have had problems with, I didn't really care about. I didn't pay for them. And ultimately stopped using them in favor of an "Open-Source" alternative.

THIS is a program that I actually thought was worth the money.

Though that was the key word, "thought".

"It's one thing not to know or understand this stuff, but it's quite another to showcase your ignorance with this incredible bout of childish behaviour. I hope when you re-read this thread you're suitably ashamed of yourself."

The only thing I'm ashamed of is the fact that I have to respond to your n00-kiddie post. I don't know how long you have been playing with your mommy and daddy's 'puter, but maybe you should put your DOS manual down and really open your eyes.

WHEN A PROGRAM IS UNINSTALLED, THAT IS JUST THAT - IT IS UNINSTALLED. THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING LEFT, IT SHOULD BE CLEAN - IN THE STATE THAT IT WAS BEFORE YOU STARTED. OTHERWISE, DO NOT UNINSTALL!