These features are both achievable through dlls, and have been suggested before - I'm aware of that.
None the less, I'd like to re-suggest them. My concern is to expand scripting possibilities without the use of third party dlls smile
I'm looking forward to see internal support of tooltips in future versions of mIRC. $crlf... My suggestion:

1) tooltip for nicklist
That is: some kind of hotlink/mouseover (I'm thinking of nicklust dll).
Tip position would be 'bottom-right of nick' if the nicklist is left aligned, or 'bottom-left of nick' if nicklist is right aligned.

I'm visualizing this via:
- new event on nicklist
on <level>:nicklist:<nick|prefix(?)>:<#>:<commands>

... New events won't come along easy, but I cannot think of another way than a new 'on nicklist' event to use the $nicktip (see below) I'm suggesting here... This seems to be the big downside frown
On the other hand side, we already have 'on hotlink' for chans and custom windows, but no analogical event for the nicklist.

- new $nicktip() identifier
Using a syntax akin to $tip():
$nicktip(tiptext,N)
N - delay in milliseconds mouse has to point on $nick before tiptext appears
Working only in an 'on nicklist' event.

2) tooltip as style property for dialog items
Item ["text",] id, x y w h, tooltip N tiptext
N - delay in milliseconds mouse has to point on item(ID) before tiptext appears

... and we'd need some new /did flag and $did properties. (Erm: the only letters left for /did flags are: p q w x y whistle )
/did -pN dname ID text
(p like "pointer"?)
-p - set tooltip text (overwriting old tip text). If no text is specified: remove tip. N - delay in milliseconds. if N is not specified: use default delay.

$did(dname,ID).tiptext : returns tooltip text
$did(dname,ID).delay : returns tooltip delay

To limit the bewildering of new /did flags, my feature suggestion emphatically excludes the implementation of other possible tip flags (enable/disable/append...) laugh
The whole delay thing of dialog tooltips could be left out - it's only an adjunct...

Size, color etc of these tooltips would be the same "system defaults" as we see in toolbar tooltips.

....looking forward for your views/replies cool