Added to the suggestion area because for years it's been a bug and hasn't been attempted to be fixed.
- To encode all my mp3s, I use Goldwave and Fraunhofer IIS MPEG 1 Layer-3 Codec (professional) that allows up to 320kbps 48000khz Stereo
- In this test I used Winamp version: 5.32 to insert the ID3v2 data.
- MP3's do not have other metadata tags attached. Not even ID3v1, which is located at the end of all MP3 files anyway and is of no consern.
- Windows Media Player 11
- Windows XP
- Both $mp3() and $sound() were used to test this.
- Yes using .tags and tag returns the correct info but that's not what this post is about.
No ID3v2 data returns: 320kbps 44100khz Joint Stereo 0:22 testmp3B.mp3
(same mp3 as above but given some ID3v2 data using Winamp
With ID3v2 data returns: 160kbps 32000khz Stereo 0:44
ID3v2 data can contain up to 256MB just in itself, so I'm wondering if mIRC's identifiers just give up after a certain attempt at reading the files.