I dunno how many times I've ran across an mp3 that just wouldn't display it's information correctly when all other programs out there do. People claim some VBR's are at fault, some think random CBR encodings cause the problem. But my understanding so far is the ID3v2 that causes most of these problems and it's not necessarily the VBR or CBR encoding. It seems to confuse mIRC about the actual information about the file's bitrate, length etc... 9 times out of 10 removing the ID3v2 info solves most of these problems.

Some would argue about the Windows MCI not reading the file right through mIRC. But how many of us are tired of that excuse?

So for a suggestion, maybe fixing the ID3v2 bug that we've always had to try and bypass with outside help from dll's or advanced scripting techniques.

Edit: Here's an example I just got through testing.
the file test.mp3 is 128(kbps) 44100 Stereo 24 seconds with no ID3v2 tag data.

Played in mIRC echoing the information normally shows this:
playing test.mp3 128kbps 44100khz Stereo 0:24

Using Winamp to quickly add some ID3v2 information only giving the title the information of "a". Playing again echos:

playing test.mp3 192kbps 44100khz Stereo 0:16

In Winamp again giving the ID3v2 information typing in the title field "this is a test". Playing again echos:

playing test.mp3 224kbps 48000khz Stereo 0:14

Last edited by Scorpwanna; 24/05/07 05:47 AM.

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)