I guess i dont really concider the way logging works with the flat file 'buffering', its not all truely kept in memory surely (that could potentially waste a lot of memory), afaik its actually written to the file, mirc just keeps the file open (and i guess locked) so only mirc can use it. (note that the entire file does not need to be in memory for it to be open)

Anyway, i havn't looked at mircstats for a very long time, but i thought it had the ability to examine dated log files? (as a temporary solution to the problem is appending to a huge existing log file?)

Maybe log file updates could be done on a timely basis (if new data is required to be written) and the files unlocked between updates... this should greately reduce the risk of a crash while a log file is open resulting in corruption. (maybe on top of the timed updates, every xx lines if reached earlier than the next sheduled update)... a command to force the updates would naturally come with this.

Apologies if i am mistaken about how it all works now and in prior versions, logging is of little importance to me so i have never dived too deeply into it.

Last edited by Om3n; 07/12/06 03:18 AM.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby