Hey! I am asking a really big favour here. grin

I have searched the net many times for this, and can only find no-usable-for my purpose stuff, of stuff for bots.

So the thing is.

I got like 340 lines of personal written “one liners” in a text file. I edit all the time via the F8 key. (Opening a notepad by the /run command.) BTW: I may have exaggerated a bit when saying the number of lines, but I won’t count them. Heh…;)

If I put all the “quotes”, all neatly in order, line by line, in a “quotes.txt” in the mIRC folder, …

Then if I wanted to display a random quote, in a dead silent channel E.g.
I could type !quote , either in a channel or in a personal-message.
Subsequently triggering; <my-nick> “random Quote” …

It sounds simple, but I do not manage to figure this one out.

And, now that I ask you.

And if anyone got the time and find pleasure in doing this for me. (and others who might like it?)
I would also like for “me acting as a bot”, to be able to do this:

If someone type !add quote “the quote”, to me in personal-message, or in main chat.
(Either it is their own, or by others.)
Then it would be added to “quotes.txt”. [Which I of course then could edit with easy ever day.]

To protect against abuse, it would be cool to be able to “ban” certain nicknames, by the right click menu. From adding any quotes. (Then ignoring from that nickname until I delete it from a list, of some kind or how one may do it?) : )

So, if I imagine having this thus far, I can type !quote, and other can type !quote, to get me to say a “random quote” … so what came to mind then, is that there should be a delay to how many “random quote” I will answer in so many minutes. Say max òne each hour. Or, a random delay with in 10 - 90minutes, or so? Side note: It would be nice to have the delay no be relevant in the personal-message windows, but unlimited there?)

An other function that would be neat, would be; !quote “number” ..
Say all the lines in the quote.txt get a number on adding, or when I type manually by the F8, adding a new to the .txt. wink

So I think that would be it.

I imagine it done to test for ideas once again:

I and others, can use: !quote to display a quote, (and it is randomly delayed so no spamming should occur.)
I and others, can use: !quote “number” to display a selected One liner.

I and others, can use: !add quote “quote”, to add a quote.
I can right-click on the names of anyone I want to not be ale to use the !add quote feature, and “ban” them from ever doing that with that nick. (so that I still see what the nick say, but won't reply to any off the commands, but the !quote, and !quote "number".)
If I wanted to disable the script, I could do that to? Even in specific channels? (Some might be bothered by use of this feature, even though there is so many lines that it won’t get repetitive, .. and is growing ‘each day’. (and the random delay)

Anyone up for the scripting?
I can only be thankful by words, and in spirit, though…
Thank you for reading my request!
And have a fine, fine day! laugh

Last edited by gomp; 08/08/06 10:47 PM.

I do not speak English. I speak Norwegian. So please bear with my poor English spelling and grammar.