Quote:

I was more refering to the process of having to colorize the text correctly, as the original example showed differing lines indented with different colors, would this just be based on the indent, or on the code blocks etc, and was also more refering to if it became a scripting engine, with colored syntax etc, the idea of delays during a code relinement due to deleting say a {
was my concern.

I guess I completely side tracked from the original suggestion. I don't see a pressing need to highlight lines differently based on the number of { deep they are. The whole time I've been arguing for syntax highlighting in general.

Quote:

What really concerned me the most was that mirc currently just evaluates plain text scripts as and when it needs to , would there be a large overhead to the idea, of having to store a color incoded version as well as the plain one it actually makes the scripts run from (i would assume scripts when saved dont retain any colorizing as it would be wastefull and also invalid should the file be edited outside the colorized mirc editor).

IRC clients are one of the few clients that use 'colour codes' to colour text. In a richedit each piece of text has a number of 'flags' associated with it to define the style. This is all handled by windows. There's no need to use two different buffers, because the richedit doesn't return any control code crap to determine if the text is styled smile