I have a fair size text file (265 lines at present), which was generated by saving a spreadsheet in a comma delimited text file format (hope I got the phrasing correct, or at least understandable).

Ideally, each line would have 10 items in it, however, some of them don't and using $numtok(<line>,44) is returning either 8, 9 or 10 items

Here's an example of the format of the lines in the text file. First one has items missing (generating a count of 8, when using $numtok). Second one has everything in place. I think that the easiest way to handle this would be to put in something for dummy data where it's currently returning $null (and therefore not counting the number of tokens correctly)
Quote:
rte,address,street,ST,N,,name,account,,MTWHFS

rte,address,street,RD,S,apt,name,account,mm/dd/yyyy,MTWHFS
Any suggestions as to a way that I can insert dummy data between double commas, without having to go through each line manually?

There are up to three possible locations where the $null value might be getting returned...for lack of a better way of describing them, in reference to the second item in the quote, the possibilities would be at tokens numbered 5, 6 &/or 9...the rest of the locations have guaranteed entries. I know that if $numtok returns 10, then none of the three locations needs dummy data, and if it returns 7 then all three locations need the dummy data, but if it returns 8 then only 2 of the three locations need the dummy data, and if it returns 9, then one of the three needs the dummy data.

I don't know how to determine (aside from visually inspecting the line), which location(s) needs the dummy data.