Mods I appologize if i brought up an old topic. Sure there are 2 threads on it none of which have been updated nor had meaningful arguments for not supporting 64 bit systems...

I assume because the issue was brought up a year ago that the (narrow) point of views might have changed by now...

The statement was - why make a 64 bit Mirc when 32 bit is fine...

The 32-bit Mirc is not fine... its uncompatible with 64-bit systems. More specifcally AMD 64 systems. It would cause frequent crashes... intermittent network connections... freeze/unfreeze cycle.

Another statement (paraphrased) 64 bit systems are way down the road, 32-bit apps dont run faster or nething, there are no os's that support the system, and its not even affordable.

Things have changed... there are much more support/release of 64 bit ver of software. WinXP 64 bit version is available not to mention some linux distros support. Some 32 bit apps actually show significant support when under 64 bit systems... (namely packaging/archiving video ripping apps etc). 64-bit systems are pretty affordable now.

Take for example I had a choice to upgrade my PC a month ago to either a 32 bit AMD XP 3200+ system or a P4 equivelent. After much shopping and comparison I found out that both solutions cost me more than upgrading to AMD 64 2800+ than ran faster than both alternatives... having the future in mind and more $$ in my pocket I chose the 64 bit system.

My problem:

Mirc runs for a few minutes and cause frequent crashes. 1.5 gig of ram would crash faster than 1 gig of ram. I am not a programmer but maybe its a memory issue? It also causes my network connection to go off/on cycles very frequently. Many times the system would freeze/unfreeze and then freeze again.... When i reboot and dont run mirc then its fine.

On a side note... alot of ppl posting replies in the other 2 AMD 64 threads seem to have quite a bias towards AMD 64's not to mention speaking for the developer in reference to comments like "i dont think the developer should have to write a 64 bit app blah blah...." "why should the developer make 64 bit ver blah blah...."... If u have such unproductive comments please open your own thread about why not to make a 64 bit ver.... or at least to respond with an open mind and a bit of support for ur comments instead of just personal feelings about the matter...

*** Also I dunno if its my side or not... but I coulda sworn I wrote this message before. I don't understand why my thread would be deleted... if so please edit my post and tell me reason why. Otherwise I appologize if this wasn't the case. grin

Kabloomz

Last edited by KaBloomz; 25/10/04 04:17 AM.