mIRC Homepage
Mods I appologize if i brought up an old topic. Sure there are 2 threads on it none of which have been updated nor had meaningful arguments for not supporting 64 bit systems...

I assume because the issue was brought up a year ago that the (narrow) point of views might have changed by now...

The statement was - why make a 64 bit Mirc when 32 bit is fine...

The 32-bit Mirc is not fine... its uncompatible with 64-bit systems. More specifcally AMD 64 systems. It would cause frequent crashes... intermittent network connections... freeze/unfreeze cycle.

Another statement (paraphrased) 64 bit systems are way down the road, 32-bit apps dont run faster or nething, there are no os's that support the system, and its not even affordable.

Things have changed... there are much more support/release of 64 bit ver of software. WinXP 64 bit version is available not to mention some linux distros support. Some 32 bit apps actually show significant support when under 64 bit systems... (namely packaging/archiving video ripping apps etc). 64-bit systems are pretty affordable now.

Take for example I had a choice to upgrade my PC a month ago to either a 32 bit AMD XP 3200+ system or a P4 equivelent. After much shopping and comparison I found out that both solutions cost me more than upgrading to AMD 64 2800+ than ran faster than both alternatives... having the future in mind and more $$ in my pocket I chose the 64 bit system.

My problem:

Mirc runs for a few minutes and cause frequent crashes. 1.5 gig of ram would crash faster than 1 gig of ram. I am not a programmer but maybe its a memory issue? It also causes my network connection to go off/on cycles very frequently. Many times the system would freeze/unfreeze and then freeze again.... When i reboot and dont run mirc then its fine.

On a side note... alot of ppl posting replies in the other 2 AMD 64 threads seem to have quite a bias towards AMD 64's not to mention speaking for the developer in reference to comments like "i dont think the developer should have to write a 64 bit app blah blah...." "why should the developer make 64 bit ver blah blah...."... If u have such unproductive comments please open your own thread about why not to make a 64 bit ver.... or at least to respond with an open mind and a bit of support for ur comments instead of just personal feelings about the matter...

*** Also I dunno if its my side or not... but I coulda sworn I wrote this message before. I don't understand why my thread would be deleted... if so please edit my post and tell me reason why. Otherwise I appologize if this wasn't the case. grin

Kabloomz

cuz of this probably
Yeah also note the date... that was like 7 months ago...

Just thought some of the opinions of the post in both linked threads were a lil bit more than biased and unsupported assumptions of 64-bit systems.

Also thought if the developer reads this, he would make a comment on what he thinks etc (instead of other ppl speaking for him). I am not a programmer and don't know the difficulty of changing code to adapt to 64 bit environment.

Also I posted specific problems to maybe help pinpoint where the problem could be. Alot of 32-bit apps run fine... especially WinXP... just didn't know why mirc kept crashing...

Its a good irc client and i thought it could be a bit better grin

Kab
My problem:

Mirc runs for a few minutes and cause frequent crashes. 1.5 gig of ram would crash faster than 1 gig of ram. I am not a programmer but maybe its a memory issue? It also causes my network connection to go off/on cycles very frequently. Many times the system would freeze/unfreeze and then freeze again.... When i reboot and dont run mirc then its fine.

Quite correct. It's your problem, not anyone elses. Let me explain - You have gone and upgraded (I assume) to Win 64 without taking into consideration the compatibility issues of doing-so. I realise that with the way AMD 64 bit processors are marketed (and I am an AMD fan all the way) that a 32 bit app should work just fine on it. Technically that may also be true and it may be Windows 64 that is causing the problem.

History dictates that there was always going to be a problem though. There were a few 16 bit programmes that didn't work well, or at all, on Windows 9X which was 32 bit. Infact there were applications that worked on Windows 95 that Windows XP doesn't know or care for. So when you upgrade hardware, and perhaps the operating system, you need to understand that the applications have to suit the purpose too.

AMD made the 64/32 processors only for one reason in my view and that was to allow a transitional period between 32 bit OS and software as a whole to 64 bit OS and software as a whole, not a mix and match of 32 and 64 together. If this is the case then you are using a 64 bit machine for the wrong reasons.

One thing you did get right was that Win 64 is certainly available. However it is neither in good supply or affordable for most people at this time and as such will stagnate for a long time like DVD video did.
Well the problems with 32-bit mIRC don't necessarily mean that there should be a 64-bit mIRC. There's speculation that the reason mIRC crashes on 64-bit systems is that it still contains some 16-bit code which, if correct, means the problem can be solved by switching to fully 32-bit code without the need to divide mIRC into two separate releases.
I don't really care whether there is a 64-bit version, but I thought I'd pick up on a couple of other things:

not to mention speaking for the developer in reference to comments like "i dont think the developer should have to write a 64 bit app blah blah...." "why should the developer make 64 bit ver blah blah...."

If you look around the Feature Suggestions forum, Khaled rarely posts. People are not speaking for him, they just say what they think he should or should not do. Discussion is encouraged here smile

Also I dunno if its my side or not... but I coulda sworn I wrote this message before.

Your post count is 2, you could not have posted (At least with that username) before. Even when posts are deleted, the post count includes the deleted post - both posts that have been accounted for are from this thread.

Regards,
@ Watchdog

Ur assumption is incorrect. My fault, I should have been clearer. I am using Windows XP Pro 32 bit version as I cannot afford the 64 bit ver. (i mention this in the mystery thread that disappeard on me lolz) Also reading beforehand about 64 bit ver I found out that it specifically states the WOW engine can run 32 bit apps but not 16 bit. So 16 bit support is totally gone... I was afraid of that so I stuck to regular XP Pro. And specifically for programs such as mirc, visual studio ( i am taking my first class), some older games etc.. The thought never even crossed my mind... even for things like SP2 update I waited till a few weeks ago before I updated because some systems I work on at work were updated as soon as the first SP2 release was out and experienced blue screens.... I am very leary and aware of new M$ release products... but still I experience the problem mentioned above.

As soon as I run Mirc + Connect to 3 servers, my Local Area Connectio would Disconnect then reconnect right away... it is very frusterating and annoying. Please if any1 reading this thread and own a AMD 64 please register and post if u have similar problems.

Again, I've only heard of systems freezing but not my intermittent network disruptions. I have an AK86-L Aopen motherboard btw... and regardless of onboard Gigabit lan or addon nic cards, they would both have the same problem. I even went as far as to replace the motherboard and same issue.

Also, M$ offering free trial of Windows XP 64-bit edition (geared towards the home user).

@ Moderator (Chris) + everyone else

I appologize if I came off rude. Just reading the 2 older threads made me shake my head in disbelief as to how narrowminded some of the comments were. I also put into consideration that sure 6-9 months ago I had no intent to spend rediculous $$ on an AMD 64... but that didnt mean that I shunned the thought of 64-bit apps development as counter productive. Why not start now so by the time its mainstream most of the initial bugs have been adressed... gotta do it sometime right? (i'm speaking for other apps too not just Mirc).

After reading some about the developer I realize he is a pretty bz guy and he knows how to manage his time + separate daily life from work. Also I notice his rig was a P4 so in order to test a 64 bit ver he would definitely have to run a 64 bit AMD.

@ mafia

That is a good thought in reference to 32 bit Mirc having some 16 bit code remnants and maybe it would be easier to just convert those portions or make a 100% 32 bit Mirc app... that i guess is up to the developer to reveal... I agree with u that there doenst need to be 2 separate versions of mirc... and to make it entirely 64 would kill the mainstream users out there. Like the title my thread says I'm just really asking for support/ compatibility on a 64 bit system (32bit OS btw).

Thank You all for reading my thread grin

Kab

BTW I realize the #of post I had... I think this occured when my connection was offline... again i appologize for any misunderstandings =o)
© mIRC Discussion Forums