Well I can honestly say I saw NO point whatsoever to your post. I didn't bring up ban evasion, you did. Then when I reply, you dismiss the idea of ban evasion prevention. Well then why did you bring it up in the first place? As for mIRC "leading the way," yea it would be, if we are talking about "leading the way to the graveyard." If mIRC was setup in such a way that there was NO way to disable such a feature, I wouldn't use mIRC. I'm sure others feel the same way. I don't want people knowing information about me that I don't want them to know. If I don't want to give it out, then it shouldn't be given out, end of story.

"No-one has claimed here that it's a foolproof way of being able to ban people" Umm didn't you say at the begining of your post that ban evasion wasn't an issue? And now you imply that it is? Care to make up your mind?

Quote:
Would you refuse to log into IRC just because you would have to hack into mIRC or an ident server to alter it's output for an ident request?

Yes, I would. In fact I already don't use mIRC for my ident serving needs. But in any case I wouldn't "hack" anything. If mIRC didn't let you disable it's identd server, I would use a firewall to prevent mIRC from replying to the requests and my router from ever letting it receive them. And on the off chance that all ident servers implemented this feature, I'd simply write my own ident server.