mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
I was hoping that this ages old bug (Shift-Jis/Jis, or SJIS/JIS conversion being applied not only to Japanese, but to every language) would be fixed in the new version... No luck. Could someone have a look at it? I don't think it's that hard to fix it..

The problem is in that SJIS/JIS conversion, the conversion from Shift-JIS, "a character encoding for the Japanese language originally developed by Microsoft and standardized as JIS X 0208 Appendix 1" (quoting Wikipedia) to JIS, "Japanese Industrial Standards for encoding the Japanese language" (again, Wikipedia) (being, in fact, ISO-2022-JP), is applied not only to the channels that have "Japanese" as font script, but to every possible channel, making it impossible to chat in iso-2022-jp and, for example, win-1251 at the same time.

Another, a little less important problem: one can not specify different encodings for channels that have different names. Let's say, you have one latvian #help channel on one server and another korean #help on another. You won't be able to chat in both channels simultaneously as you won't be able to set different encodings for these channels.

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
update for sjis/jis bug: to reproduce it, you need at least two channels open: one with Japanese scrpt, another with, for example, Cyrillic. Sjis/jis must be on (usually everything but unicode is on there for people talking Japanese).

go to the Cyrillic window and type Alt-1080 and Alt-1089 (two very common letters in Russian), and press enter. to another client (or mIRC with sjis/jis off) the text will look unreadable.

D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
confirmed, i've noticed the same for quite some time and have been promoting a total abolition of iso-2022-jp everywhere i can(replaced by either sjis or utf-8) but it's a bit coercicive.
So seconded.

Link Copied to Clipboard