mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
mIRC installs to an incorrect directory in XP64 by default. mIRC's installer assumes that it is always "C:\Program Files", which is not necessarily true, such as in XP64.

In XP64, 32-bit programs go into "C:\Program Files (x86)".

This is pretty easy to fix. Use SHGetFolderPath with CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES. For Win95 compatibility, you'll have to use LoadLibrary on shell32.dll and GetProcAddress SHGetFolderPathA or W. If it's not there, use C:\Program Files.

Melissa

Meow
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I think the default install directory should be c:\mirc (like it was pre 6.0) grin

but that's just my opinion ...

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
That makes no sense in my opinion :tongue:

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Hi

Sorry to bust in on this, lol
Quote:
think the default install directory should be c:\mirc

I see a problem with the default install being C:\

You see i run a dual boot system, 3 partitions,
C:\ - which is windows 98 (yeah for older proggys that dont like xp
D:\ - which is windows xp pro, 98% of what i use all the time, for all my work
E:\ - Linux, nuff sed grin (just starting out with this os)

so having mIRC configured to install to C:\ would cause me a few probs, considering that i use xp on D:\, my opinion ...
Hixxy i agree with you on this one.

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I think the default dir should be:

[drive_where_active_windows_is_installed]:\mirc

-genius_at_work

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I think it sghould just ask you and let you pur it where ever ya like. And if it doesnt already do this (i cant remember if it does or not) then just move the thing afterwards, and let the sleeping dogs lie.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
I think the default dir should be:

-genius_at_work

actually, that's precisely what 5.9 did. I use the example of C:\ simply because the majority do not use dual (or multiple) boot systems. wink

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
i think installing programs in the root is bad ettiquete.
Almost every decent program installs in Program Files thus so should mIRC. The fact it doesnt do this on XP64 is a bug in my eyes.

$maybe
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
then again, mirc isnt for xp64 now is it. mahahaha thats thrown a spanner in the works.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
oops, i think i started something, lol

to everybody who replied after me, yeah a user should be allowed to install a program to anywhere they like
an example, i had a program that kindly installed itself to C:\
(it didnt even like "program files" - didnt like the space between the "m" and "f") and didnt run correctly
(soon got rid of it).

I did, after installing mIRC to D:\Program Files\mirc, duplicate the mirc folder for several installs
giving me 3 extra mirc folders, for myeslf to chat, my channel bot and default mirc, (for backups)

genius, i agree

ShadowDemon

Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Quote:
i think installing programs in the root is bad ettiquete.
Almost every decent program installs in Program Files thus so should mIRC. The fact it doesnt do this on XP64 is a bug in my eyes.

More accurately, it installed to the *wrong* Program Files directory. C:\Program Files is for 64-bit programs in Win64. 32 bit programs belong in C:\Program Files (x86).

Melissa

Meow
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
mirc isnt for xp64

OMG bug #2 smile

$maybe
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I think %programfiles%\mIRC\ makes the most sense by far, seeing as it is a program file :tongue:

Khaled could maybe check if it's running on XP64 somehow when he decides to switch to that, but mIRC is still a 32bit program.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
mIRC should be asking Windows what the "Program Files" directory is called on that particular system. Then it would be up to Windows x64 to detect that mIRC is a 32bit program and supply the correct directory.

-genius_at_work

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I guess, but I don't know if the OS would actually tell the program a different install directory if it's 32bit. Oh well, I don't really know much about it.

M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Quote:
I think %programfiles%\mIRC\ makes the most sense by far, seeing as it is a program file :tongue:

Khaled could maybe check if it's running on XP64 somehow when he decides to switch to that, but mIRC is still a 32bit program.

That won't work - the environment variable is set to the native Program Files regardless of the type of program. The correct solution is to call the Windows API call SHGetSpecialFolderPath with CSIDL_PROGRAMFILES.

SHGetFolderPath is a Win2000 superset of SHGetSpecialFolderPath. Use SHGetSpecialFolderPath instead.

Meow
M
Myria Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
Quote:
I guess, but I don't know if the OS would actually tell the program a different install directory if it's 32bit. Oh well, I don't really know much about it.

It does. SHGetSpecialFolderPath will report the correct directory for the program that is calling it.

Melissa

Meow
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If it really is that simple I don't see any reason why he wouldn't change it, but I wouldn't really call this a bug.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks this should be fixed for the next version.

Link Copied to Clipboard