Print Thread
#193999 28/01/08 12:35 AM
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
Hi!

As everybody knows, IRC is dying... and so must be mIRC.

As it goes, mIRC & IRC will be dead in a couple of years due to egoism of instant messengers.

But I thought about something. I'm surely not the first to but let's go into it!

I would love to have a slimmed-down version of mIRC (without any of the build-in interfaces).

With this one, application developper would be able to use mIRC API to make complete applications, with the easiest way ever!
Just a thought, but it would be so great.

mIRC scripting is the only coding language that does not use libraries and 3948 different guis with 948 different way to code it.

It would be very easy for us to code a ftp server, a mp3 player without having to learn c++, python, or whatever else.

mIRC scripting is our favorite programming language, so I would love to be able to use it to code outside of the irc client.

And for the price, the author should make a kind of developpement kit. Coders would have to buy the kit (so he would make money out of it). Think about it, the more people will use this language, the more he would make money!

Oh please! I don't think it would be too hard to code it that way so everybody would be able to use it!

It's my last hope, because I'm not using IRC anymore so I don'T use any mirc scripted apps anymore.

Thanks for reading!

tompouce #194001 28/01/08 12:47 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: tompouce

As it goes, mIRC & IRC will be dead in a couple of years due to egoism of instant messengers.

Says who?

RoCk #194002 28/01/08 12:54 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Says everybody, we don't need a master in communication to notice that everybody uses MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Skype nowadays instead of IRC.

There's only gamers, geek, xdcc, pedophiles and such that uses IRC.

IRC is obselete with its command line based functions and geeky interface clients. (mIRC is trying its best to make it more user friendly). Look at client such as Colloquy (on mac).

Nickserv, Chanserv, Channels, IRCops, G-Lined, Op, Voice, etc. All this stuff sounds so geeky in some noob's ears...

Last edited by tompouce; 28/01/08 12:57 AM.
tompouce #194003 28/01/08 01:01 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Hi!

Do you have any idea how many people spout off this type of rubbish? If you actually take the effort to do some research into it, you'll find that IRC is not dying, nor is there even the slightest possibility that it will be dead in a couple of years... or even 5-10 years. IRC and IM are two very different things. There are similarities, but they are still different things. One cannot replace the other.

Quote:

I would love to have a slimmed-down version of mIRC (without any of the build-in interfaces).

With this one, application developper would be able to use mIRC API to make complete applications, with the easiest way ever!

By slimmed down, it seems that you mean so that it's nothing but a scripting platform and interpreter without IRC included. That's not going to happen. It's for IRC and will always be for IRC.

In addition, mIRC scripts are interpreted and not compiled. They will always need mIRC to run or someone will at the very least have to make a mIRC script interpreter that would have to be included. Also, the scripts can be viewed by everyone who uses them. As such, you're not going to be able to sell them no matter what you make. Someone else will always end up making the same thing for free.

Quote:

mIRC scripting is the only coding language that does not use libraries and 3948 different guis with 948 different way to code it.

It would be very easy for us to code a ftp server, a mp3 player without having to learn c++, python, or whatever else.

I'm not sure where you get your numbers for other languages. They seem *very* out of whack. Most languages will have a specific set of "rules" (aka syntax) that you have to follow and you have to follow it. Sure, you can code it different ways, but you can with mIRC as well. That offers flexibility. It does not make it bad or even more difficult. As for the GUI, you can choose your preferred programming GUI (program) and use just that one. Just because there are others out there doesn't make it worse. Again, it gives you flexibility. You can program in mIRC using Notepad, Wordpad, Word, Works, mIRC itself, etc. That's not a bad thing.

As for ease of programming something... most large applications would be very troublesome to program in mIRC. Many couldn't even be done. Other actual programming languages (mIRC's a scripting language, not a programming language) are much more powerful and usually faster. They are also not really that much harder to learn. If you can learn mIRC scripting, you can learn another language. You just have to choose to do so. Personally, I use mIRC daily, so I have reasons to script. As such, I've gotten good at scripting. I don't have any real reason to program in another language as I don't have time or patience to really make any large programs. As such, I don't have much skill in other languages, such as C++. However, if I had a reason to use it, I'd pick it up the same way I did with mIRC scripting. It really isn't that difficult to do for basic programming. And for anything advanced, well, you just have to learn it just like you do with advanced mIRC scripting.

Quote:

It's my last hope, because I'm not using IRC anymore so I don'T use any mirc scripted apps anymore.

That's your choice. If you're not going to use IRC, then take the step and start learning an actual programming language.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
tompouce #194005 28/01/08 01:10 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Or you could just learn a language that isn't horribly slow.

PS. It's actually *easier* to "code" an ftp server in python, ruby, or even C++ because 500 people have already made them as libraries or full open source projects that you just need to plug into your app-- not to mention the fact that mIRC has really awkward socket handling semantics for a dynamic language.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
tompouce #194034 28/01/08 06:03 PM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Hi!

Who is everybody?

Quote:

It's called "appeal to unqualified authority." Why should anyone believe or trust you?

If you're going to convince us that you are right, you are going to have to support us with facts and evidence. Simply stating what you believe over and over again has no weight to your argument.

Quote:
But I thought about something. I'm surely not the first to but let's go into it!

Before we have to get into how advanced of an IRC client mIRC can be - what is it about the plain default mIRC that needs to be slimmed-down?

Quote:

mIRC scripting is our favorite programming language, so I would love to be able to use it to code outside of the irc client.

And for the price, the author should make a kind of developpement kit. Coders would have to buy the kit (so he would make money out of it). Think about it, the more people will use this language, the more he would make money!

Oh please! I don't think it would be too hard to code it that way so everybody would be able to use it!

Thanks for reading!

So all this from your conclusion that IRC is dying, so mIRC is dying, so the less people that will download and pay for it, so another method for Khaled to make money.

When the times comes... (if that happens)..

Says everybody, we don't need a master in communication to notice that everybody uses MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Skype nowadays instead of IRC.

Couldn't we have had the same problem in 1995?

Quote:
There's only gamers, geek, xdcc, pedophiles and such that uses IRC.

And will the population of computer nerds go down? Or pedophiles?

Quote:
IRC is obselete with its command line based functions and geeky interface clients. (mIRC is trying its best to make it more user friendly). Look at client such as Colloquy (on mac).

Nickserv, Chanserv, Channels, IRCops, G-Lined, Op, Voice, etc. All this stuff sounds so geeky in some noob's ears...

I feel as the years go on, more and more people will know about computers.

-Neal.

LostShadow #194155 30/01/08 05:08 PM
X
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
I couldn't have said it better than you guys above.

Honestly, look at Undernet, Rizon, Efnet, Gamesurge, Freenode... All of them. Do they seem dead?

As for your theory about "who" uses IRC.. A lot of "normal" people still use IRC, even though it may seem to have an advanced interface.

GamerzWoW
The Official GamerzPlanet WoW Server

Link Copied to Clipboard