mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Hi, I kinda looked through this forums...lots of useful things that questioned me. But I have not found an anwer to this. I am pretty sure it is common. Basically this is what happens.

-Search in XDCC, request file
-puts me in queue until file is accepted
-starts downloading, and downloads for...5-30 minutes where near the end of that timer, the speed of the download gradually decreases and when it reaches <15kb/sec, it disconnects my internet as well as the download stops.

Sometimes when I notice the speed going down early, if I shut down mirc my internet can be saved without a restart. Then I just turn on mirc again and attempt to download the file. This method is extremely ineffective and 2 years of facing this problem, I still have not found a solution. Yesterday I thought it was my ZoneAlarm... but after 1 hour without firewall mirc still killed my internet. I would like to find a solution. If this question is noob forgive me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, when I changed my internet connection this "disconnection" thingie happened instantly the moment I reached the speed over 400kb/sec but that was back in mirc 6.3, then I decided to starts things over, downloaded mirc 6.31 and oh well it doesn't disconnect instantly, but everytime I connect I have to wait an hour in que.

EDIT: Found a few topics that have the same problem
so I can conclude
-not router problem
-not ISP problem
-possibly a nuke...packed crap and all that since after the restart it's all back to normal --> network card?
-is it possible I download and use a fraction of bandwidth, then some1 doesn't like that and packets me?

I have: Windows XP SP2, ZoneAlarm Firewall, Peerguardian2 w/o updated lists because it doesn't update (but most likely not PG2 because in the blocklists history, nothing's related to mirc), 6000 kilobits/sec (800kb/s+) connections (Rogers) and Asus P5K motherboard w/ integrated Network card, D-Link Router.

-I've tried some things
1) Changing IP address through cmd prompt (/flushdns etc...)
2) Changing my mirc Nick name and Alt. but it doesn't get changed.

sooo, hope any of this helps. Ty.

Last edited by namby_trojan; 08/03/08 05:32 PM.
I
I
What about changing your port? Does that help at all?

~ Iggy Koopa
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How do you know it's not your ISP or router? What have you done to test that? The three most likely causes of what you are describing are: Router (driver, firmware, or settings), ISP (throttling/blocking ports or protocols), or Windows (issues with Winsock).

Are you using P2P software at the same time? That can sometimes give you problems with Winsock and/or your router that can cause similar issues. Depending on your ISP, using P2P software can also trigger blocking/throttling mechanisms by the ISP that can affect more than just the P2P software. Either way, this falls under the 3 most likely causes I listed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
OP Offline
N
Hi,
thanks for your replies.
I tried changing port in mirc "connect" thing. Originally the default was 6667 then I changed it to 6669 and then to 6670. I just changed to 6670 so I dunno if it will help but 6669 posed same problem.

For router: I changed my router recently from D-link to Lynksys Wireless one, but I use wired connection, again no difference, I am still getting disconnected.

No I am not running any P2P software.

Yesterday I was able to download 2GB nonstop (Night), and today, like 20mb and then it just died again (Morning).

I've noticed one thing, in ZoneAlarm, there's this bar that shows download rate and upload rate (green and red one) if green bar is stable while downloading, I think mirc won't disconnect but when it goes up and down contantly i think it will disconnect.

For ISP: I dunno maybe it's isp, is it ok to call them? I actually have history of being caught with BitLord cuz I didn't use peerguardian and they sent me this weird email, maybe that's it? But in mirc you aren't getting caught cuz you don't upload, is that right?

lol omg I waited in Que for an hour, then got disconnected and I am back to 44 again... does that kinda suck or what.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: oh yeah the port of the server is still at 6667... so I tried typing /DAEMON.FL.US.ABJECTS.NET:7000 and it gives me as an unknown command....ideas? Thanks.
EDIT: forgot to add server, but still when on startup it automatically connects to 6667, but when I try typing that manually, it says unable to resolve server.. so I can't change my port, or do I need to forward it or something... but I think forwarding is unsafe...isn't it.

The reason I said that it might not be my router is I connected to my modem directly, and it still disconnected me, am I right is there a link between the two?

EDIT: do i need to register my nickname?

Last edited by namby_trojan; 24/03/08 01:26 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Servers/networks only let you connect using specific ports. They don't all allow port 6669, so you should check and see if that port is allowed. If it isn't try another port that *is* allowed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard