Print Thread
R
Rowan88 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hey,

Me and my m8 try to send stuff to each other on mIRC but it doesnt work. When we try to send/receive stuff to each other we accept then in the download window no status changes, it doesnt start, then it just gets Failed.

We are sure we have both forwarded the correct ports. Heres a preview of my ports to show you to make sure its ok:
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5768/mircsettingsnb2.jpg

And we both dont have firewalls except the Windows Firewall, but we accepted mIRC to use the internet, hense the able to connect to channels fine.

Can someone please help us sort this connection issue out.

Thanks

Rowan

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
First off, unless you both have dial-up connections (and sometimes even then), I can almost guarantee you have another firewall in the "modem". Look the modem up at portforward.com and forward ports there.
Plus if there's more than one computer using the internet connection, you probably need to configure a static IP address for the ones you want to forward ports to. That information can also be found at portforward.com.
Also, if you use Norton Internet Security, it has a firewall in it as well.
There are a multitude of other reasons you could be having trouble, but these usually get people started on the right track.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
R
Rowan88 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
OK,

I figured that I can send to myself, and I managed to download a help file from #xdcc-help channel, and my m8 is the same.

But we cant send to each other. We have tryed everything.

We both have ports forwarded etc etc...

Any ideas?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sending to yourself doesn't require a forwarded port. Neither does downloading or connecting to a network. Only sending does (or chats). You are definitely blocking the ports in some way. It's as simple as that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Rowan88 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Windows firewall may need the ports pinhold through it, or mirc allowed through it, but just shut the sucker down to start with, tell u get sends going, then tunr it on again and sort out what needs to be opened for it to function as well, this way you know its only the firewall your left having problems with.

But first....

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7281/mirc3sv4.jpg

IP should be using "server" becuase it needs to be your WAN (internet) IP not the LAN IP thats in there.

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/7854/routerportsbv6.jpg

mirc requires only TCP forwarded (forwarding UDP well however not effect it adversly)

R
Rowan88 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Ok I made thoses changes, but can I just say.

See changing the Method Mode to server, now its not letting me send files to myself, its giving me the error like if I was sending to someone else.

I dont understand what could be the problem..

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
You cant send to yourself like this becuase your routers not good enough to do the wan to lan redirection, dont worry about it, 90% of routers dont do it.

This is what happens when u send a file

You: /dcc send Bob filename.txt
Your mirc /msg Bob a secret message saying your filename,ip,port,filesize
With that Bob connects to your IP on the Port said and downloads a file naming it filename for filesize bytes

Now if you do that to your self with 192.168.2.2 (or what ever your lan ip was) your mirc can see that IP but no one out on the internet can, becuse thats not an internet IP its your LAN IP.

So you set the IP to being server lookedup, so it becomes your WAN IP (internet ip), then when the person conenects to you, they reach the router (which is the first thing on that IP) and the router goes "wow look someones coming in this port, and i have that port forwarded to 192.168.2.2 I better send this on to 192.168.2.2" and thus you get it. What your pc does with it from there is its bussiness, if your firewalls still up it liekly ignores it.

Only maybe 10% of routers are clever and when you connect to yourself for a file, the outbound connection to get the file is going from your WAN IP back to itself (same IP) so the router goes, "well duh, why send this out at all, ill turn it around and make out its an inbound packet", routers i know can do it, some linksys (setable), some netgears, some dlinks. others i dont know about.

Link Copied to Clipboard