mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#91143 20/07/04 12:15 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to request from users their quit message, like a ctcp version check will show what they are using? confused

We are adverse to XDCC Catcher and could keep them at bay with version check, but since they have started to use mirc version reply we can no longer find them until they quit. frown

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks,

Pete

AKA SingleDadPete
laugh

#91144 20/07/04 12:23 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There isn't a way to find out what their quit message is going to be, that's impossible to the best of my knowledge. You can only detect a quit message after it has been displayed with the 'ON QUIT' event. As a simple example, you could use something like

on *:quit:{
if (*whatever* iswm $1-)
do stuff here
}

Where *whatever* is the bit you want to detect and $1- represents the entire quit message. There must be a op/oper/bot of some description in a common channel with the bot that quits so that their mIRC can pick up the quit message. See /help on quit.

On the other hand, if you are an IRC Operator and can see every connection that quits, with the quit message, you could use the 'ON SNOTICE' event (Server Notice) to detect quit messages. In essence it's pretty much the same - see /help on snotice.

As an FYI, scripting questions are best asked in the 'Scripts & Popups' section - this must be scripted if you are going to go ahead and try and detect them via their quit message, there is not a CTCP or anything to detect the quit message that they may have set in mIRC options or in a script/alias.

Hope this helps smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#91145 20/07/04 12:32 PM
S
OP Offline
S
yea, pretty much thought as much, but the server notice option is an idea to play with, i actually own the network, so really want to get the lame scripts off and give real users a better chance of getting what they need.

Thx for posting your reply so quickly and sorry I posted in wrong forum.

Just a thought in closing, if mirc is copyright protected, surely the creators of XDCC Catcher are infringing it by using the mirc name as a version reply?? could be worth the owner persuing for compansation!!

Thanks once again,

Pete.

AKA SingleDadPete

#91146 20/07/04 01:27 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
It's a long and tedious discussion, but the version reply should not be edited - whether it's actually illegal is debatable. Khaled has, to the best of my knowledge, never taken legal action against a user of mIRC - it would be far too time consuming, complicated and pointless in my opinion.

There are many scripts which completely block out the default mIRC version reply to make their lame scripts look like actual 'software' (heh), and whilst this is widely regarded as lame and many channels will ban users with that kind of thing loaded into mIRC, there's not much else people can do.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard