mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
sp00k Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
Hello i am stuck with a big problem...would be glad if you could help me clear it out. I hava explained the complete situation which will make you understand what my exact problem is and what i want:

I am having a single PC with OS as Windows XP Professional SP2 with all latest updates applied and all firewall disabled. I am living in a hostel, and here I don’t exactly know what kind of internet connection it is (DSL, Cable etc. don’t know which one), but the server is surely firewall protected and the ip address is always provided from the proxy server. The ip address is constant for each and every NIC MAC address. I have got a limitation of download every month but unlimited upload on the internet. The speed of this upload connection is approx. 100kbps, which I have seen practically from my pc. (say this as my Hostel connection)

Now to overcome the limitation of download every month I took a private DSL connection, which has 3mbps download rate and upload rate approx. 30 kbps. This DSL connection works using PPPoE protocol and I need to create a new connection for this in windows. I have to login every time in order to use this DSL connection, without that the internet won’t work using this DSL connection. (say this as my DSL connection)

Now, I want to serve as well as download files using IRC, for this I want to configure the IRC in such a way that files are downloaded using my DSL connection (since I don’t have any limitation on amount of download for this connection) and uploading files using my hostel connection (since the upload rate is much higher for this connection).

I have made the network connections to my system as follows:

To make this possible, what I did is I installed IRC program two times. IRC 1 for just uploading files and IRC 2 for just downloading files. So, what now I have planned to do is…I start IRC 1 (which is only for uploading) first, so that it gets connected using the hostel connection and then I connect and login to my DSL connection and start IRC 2 (which is for downloading) so that by default IRC 2 selects DSL connection for downloading files.

Theoretically for me, this should work right!? But it isn’t the IRC 1 connection automatically gets refreshed and it also start using DSL connection and the uploading rate gets decreased. I hope you understood what I exactly want now!!!

Actually, it would have been good if we could have been given an option in windows for specifying which connection to use for connecting to internet for every program…

Apart from this I also tried, making the connections following way:

I thought the problem might be because of the switch, so I removed the switch from the connections and connected the cables directly to two different NIC’s. Now I tried to connect the IRC 1 and IRC 2 in the similar manner as I said before…like I start IRC 1 before and then logging in to DSL connection and start IRC 2. But with this connection also I am facing the same problem like I was having before.

I am thinking that instead of puzzling around network connections, if somehow, i can manage to find or give a option in mIRC regarading the connection to use when connecting to internet then i guess my problem would be solved. Anyone knows where i can find or give this option in mIRC???

Is there any solution for my problem??? Please help!!!

Many Thanks
-=sp00k=-

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Are you aware that mIRC is a chat program, not a hybrid of Kazaa? What exactly are you downloading?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
sp00k Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I know mIRC is a chat program... thanks for letting me know... but your answer still doesn't help me solve my problem...

-=sp00k=-

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I never had an intention to answer you in that post:

Quote:
What exactly are you downloading?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
K
Did you have this problem pre sp2?

S
sp00k Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
did tried this without sp2! but does sp2 makes a difference in my case? cause, anyway i have disabled the default windows firewall!

Link Copied to Clipboard