mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
I keep getting the msg "Unable To Connect (can't assign requested address)" when i try to log on to mirc. it's been doing this for a couple of weeks now, anyone got any help?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Read through the sticky posts at the top of this forum. Especially if you are trying to connect to DALnet. smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
Q
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Q
I'm having the same problem.

What is the "Sticky Posts"? confused

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The ones with the push pin symbols next to them smile

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
"sticky posts" means they are threads set to always be at the top of the list, rather than be moved along as newer threads are started.

Common IRC Errors is one, it will explain what "cant assign" error is, and the DALnet Update one explains the probs DALnet has been having which is why you cant use random irc.dal.net to connect now. DALnet active Servers gives you a link to a site that shows what servers are linked at the moment. There may be other networks that dont allow the use of random irc.somenetworknamehere.net in which case, use your fav browser to find their webpage and check a list of their servers.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
V
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
V
im so lost i have that problem and i have no idea thats u guys are talking about with the sticky notes and pin symbols...

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The original poster had a problem with connecting to DALnet (which was hard to get onto for sometime due to attacks on the network recently) The moderator directed them to check out the sticky post

Active Dalnet Servers

Sticky posts as said are always at the top of the page...or They dont move as new posts are made....this is easier for users with this similar question to look to for reference...

V
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
V
is the sticky notes on this page maybe its the explorer im using...so basicly mirc is down?

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
No it is not on this page it is at the top of the page with all the posts ....the page before this one...

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The sticky posts are the ones at the top of each forum. It depends on your settings as to how many threads are displayed on each page. Look for the red push pin symbols and read the posts that are relevant to you. Alternatively, you could use the search feature and type in 'can't assign requested address' as your search terms, all forums, all dates.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
LOL i know where they are silly....i just remember it as

"top of the page before this one" ....or "the previous page from the post i choose to reply to" LOL either way it works smile

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Oops I replied to the wrong person (doh!). Prolly cos I just rolled out of bed - and now I must go to work *sigh*

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
bummer bout the work....anyways youre forgiven...

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
mIRC is software used to IRC (internet relay chat) on any of many networks, which you get to by connecting to one of their servers. So no, miRC isnt down. smile The error msg you got, "Unable to assign..." is because the server you tried to use isnt reachable by you or anyone else.

You are in the part of this message board for discussing Connection Issues. In the index for each area of this msg board, (you can click here to see what i mean by index: click here ) you may see threads (this is a thread) that are always at the top, and never move downwards. Those are what we call "sticky posts". We keep them at the top of the forum because they are common issues/have info you should know.

You will see one called DALnet Active Servers in which you will see a link to a website that has been keeping track of what servers are linked to DALnet, if DALnet is the one you are having problems getting to. You are prolly getting this error because you are trying to connect to that networks "random" like irc.dal.net. It is called random because it isnt a server itself, it connects you to one of their servers (ie, a random one). The solution is to find out what servers are actively linked to that network, by going to the networks website for a list of them, or in the case of DALnet a link that a user has put up showing them. You can then, in mIRC, in your status window, type one of them. Examples would be /server irc.prison.net (which is an EFnet server) or /server mesra.kl.my.dal.net (one of DALnet's servers)

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard