Print Thread
#88396 27/06/04 07:34 PM
A
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
this one could be very usefull.

I want to connect to Gamesurge and Quakenet at the same time. so I have in my perform list:
/server irc.gamesurge.net
/server -m irc.quakenet.org

and I have in options - connect - options: connect on startup enabled

but if i start my mirc, it automatically connects to gamesurge and quakenet, but when i join my first favorite channel on quakenet, it connects again to quakenet. It's like a never ending loop

so maybe an option in Options - connect: a second IRC Network, so we can put in the first one: gamesurge and in the second one: Quakenet !

grin sorry for my crappy english, i hope you guys understand me

#88397 27/06/04 07:42 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
The option is already in place you are doing it wrong adding the 2 servers
what in fact you are telling mirc to do is go into an endless loop of connecting re-connectiing only add the 2nd server to perform, or use an on start event to complete both connections
on *:start: { server 1 | server -m 2 }

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
#88398 27/06/04 07:58 PM
A
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
I dont get it crazy

#88399 27/06/04 08:09 PM
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
just type this in your status

//server irc.gamesurge.net | /server -m irc.quakenet.org

and scot means you could this use in the on start event

on 1:START:{
echo Connecting to irc.gamesurge.net and, irc.quakenet.org
server irc.gamesurge.net
server -m irc.quakenet.org
}

Last edited by tsoglanos; 27/06/04 08:15 PM.
#88400 27/06/04 08:43 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
having to type this in your status all the time would be rather annoying,
Quote:

thats why i meant you can also do it automatically when starting mIRC you can load an event in your remotes to perform these commands..while mIRC is open
hold down your Alt-key and press R-key (the letter r) ..this takes you into the remote section of the script Editor and add this line
on 1:START: { server irc.gamesurge.net | server -m irc.quakenet.org }

Hope this clarifies things for you smirk

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

#88401 27/06/04 08:53 PM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
There's no real need to do any scripting for this if you aren't comfortable with it.

By default, anything you put in 'Perform' happens every time you join ANY server - therefore, you tell it to join a server when you join a server, and this makes it join a server again... and so on.

You CAN set a *specific* network under 'Perform' however, in the same dialog. So... set the network to Quakenet, and then include ONLY a command to join Gamesurge. Then, every time you join Quakenet, you will automagically be connected to Gamesurge as well, with no loop. grin

Note: Gamesurge isn't in the list of networks that can be selected in the perform dialog...

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#88402 27/06/04 10:51 PM
K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
The 3rd icon is Favorites, there you can add your favorite channels, and one of the options is Join on connect. I think this is what you want. It is possible to set on which network you want to join the channel, but you can only choose from a list, so I'm not sure how to add your own to that...

#88403 27/06/04 11:11 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
"I'm not sure how to add your own to that..."

You need to add the network to the server list in mIRC options:

ALT+O > Connect > Servers

Under the drop down list click on 'Add'. Fill in the details where necessary - the 'Group:' parameter is the part that is added to the list. Once added this Group should now show up in the network list of the Perform section, and in the network list of Favourites.

You can also do it through the command line with (primarily) the -a switch of /server, see /help /server.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#88404 28/06/04 06:10 AM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

having to type this in your status all the time would be rather annoying,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, if you created an Alias (e.g. /j1) then all you would have to type is
/j1

Which is much much easier - especially for someone like me who is Lord of the Typos.

Cheers,

DK

Darwin_Koala

Junior Brat, In-no-cent(r)(tm) and original source of DK-itis!
#88405 28/06/04 07:07 AM
A
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
far away from this :P this has nothing to do with my question.

#88406 28/06/04 05:13 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
I don't think you guys are carefully reading post replies and seem to be giving the same advice over and over

Not once did i suggest it needed to be scripted !!

The option is already in place you are doing it wrong adding the 2 servers what in fact you are telling mirc to do is go into an endless loop of connecting re-connectiing only add the 2nd server to perform or use an on start event to complete both connections.

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

#88407 28/06/04 08:43 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
only add the 2nd server to perform

- It will go into a loop no matter how many /server commands are added to the perform list unless an /if condition is added or the network's to apply the perform list to is limited to only the first server - that's what (some) people are pointing out.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#88408 28/06/04 09:14 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Quote:
It will go into a loop no matter how many /server commands are added
..eh ok

It stands to reason IF you read his post the person does not want this to apply to all servers
Quote:
I want to connect to Gamesurge and Quakenet at the same time

Therefore by adding server -m quakenet to his network specific perform commands why in the blazes should this ever go into an infinite loop.

I rest my case, about people not reading posts

#88409 28/06/04 11:27 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
Therefore by adding server -m quakenet to his network specific perform commands why in the blazes should this ever go into an infinite loop.

Except you never mentioned 'network specific' before, which is the key point. You might try reading your own posts before talking down about other people not reading them properly.

#88410 28/06/04 11:51 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
No you are 100% correct i did not previously mention anything regarding network specific, and i seen no need to. if a user enters the perform section, unless they were Stevie Wonder i think it would be hard not to see, that such an option is there. I also noted that the Gamesurge network IS in the list, but i never mentioned this either, i tend to give users the benefit of having at least some common sense, and the willingness to read a bit. smirk

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

#88411 29/06/04 12:20 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well if they made the mistake to put two /server lines inside the perform list I see no reason to assume they'd suddenly figure out that if they should only put one in there that they should also make it specific to the network that they took out.

#88412 29/06/04 06:31 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
This comment seems to be aimed in my general direction, so...

Quote:
Not once did i suggest it needed to be scripted !!

Well, your very first thread on this post included an on:start event, tsoglanos did likewise, and you replied to tsoglanos with another on:start event. I think most people would accept that remotes are scripting.

It seemed to me, however, that no-one had properly explained how to use the perform dialog - which the enquirer evidently knows how to reach - to solve the problem. My personal feeling, with which others may of course disagree, is that this is an easier route to resolving the problem than trying to explain about mIRC command line commands, aliases or remote scripts.

Kipling's line about

Quote:
"there are five and twenty ways / of constructing tribal lays / and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS RIGHT"

(his Caps, not mine!) applies here - what's wrong with providing the widest possible range of answers so that the user can decide which they are most comfortable with?

PM

#88413 29/06/04 06:38 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Quote:
Gamesurge network IS in the list

Wups! Mea culpa. Presumably the dialog takes the network list from servers.ini... and since I use a custom .ini, it ain't there! blush

PM

#88414 29/06/04 05:05 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
re:
Quote:
what's wrong with providing the widest possible range of answers so that the user can decide which they are most comfortable with?

Absolutely Nothing Pastmaster, the range you gave tho was the same, albeit you Did include the
Quote:
You CAN set a *specific* network under 'Perform'
if you feel strongly that the network specifics need added you are free to make that point,
whereas i chose NOT to.
Chose being the definitive word.
and i still stand by my decision
Quote:
i tend to give users the benefit of having at least some common sense, and the willingness to read a bit.

I suggested there was an Alternative to perform or use an on start event i see this sort of reply daily, Or you Could, < that surely falls under your term of widest possible range of answers

I applaud anyone who helps, in whatever capacity they wish. laugh and my further thread was not specifically intended for anyone

It seems this thread was about to turn into something other than an answer to the original poster question, and at least one of you think i was "talking down"
Quote:
before talking down about other people not reading

My sole purpose in a help forum is to help users who ask for assistance and if i feel that the same advice was being repeated, i believe i do have the right as a member to point this out, that in NO Way in the world in wich i live in suggests to me that i am "talking down" to anyone. Far from it as i have said, i applaud anyone who helps.

And i for one realise members may help in different ways.

I'll end my part in this thread as i see it becoming non-productive, and wish you all well

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Link Copied to Clipboard