Print Thread
#85427 05/06/04 03:29 AM
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
Okay... I registered my nick & channel... but I want to have a bot in it... So:
1) What would I need to put into my scripting thing?
2) Where do I put it in??
3) What does it mean exactly???

Thanks in advance!

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Hey there, and welcome to the mIRC message boards smile

Quote:
1) What would I need to put into my scripting thing?

Well, "bots" generally do not get loaded into remotes (your scripting thing) like some scripts do. If you download an addon it usually comes in a .mrc or sometimes .ini file - in which case, to load it into Remotes, use /load -rs script.mrc or (script.ini) where 'script.mrc' is the name of the file that has the code in. Once mIRC has it loaded into Remotes, it will be affected by whatever the code is 'programmed' to do.

Bots however are separate entities, so you don't really load them. When you download them they will usually come in .zip files - unzip them with a program such as WinZip to your mIRC directory. Then right click the mIRC.exe file and click on 'Copy'. Go to the folder where the bot files are (look for a folder that is named after the bot you downloaded or something similar) and right click a white area of the screen, then click 'Paste'. Then double click the newly-pasted mIRC.exe and it should be affected by the script files automatically!

Quote:
2) Where do I put it in??

The area where code is put is called your 'Remotes' or the 'Script Editor' - this contains all your remote code, aliases and popups. For further help, type (in mIRC):

/help aliases
/help popup menus
/help remote scripts
/help /load

Most good scripts/addons will come with documentation that explains how to load the script/addon correctly.

Just a note about the "difference" between scripts/addons - scripts are generally referred to as large files, or a large number of files, which add lots of features on to your mIRC - for example, mp3 player, channel protection, query blocking and so forth. However, 'addons', whilst they are still scripts, are called "addons" because they just add-on one feature. So instead of affecting mIRC a lot, it just adds one feature such as an mp3 player.

Quote:
3) What does it mean exactly???

Bots are like scripts with their own nicknames. They have all kinds of features, looks and purposes. They can be used to run a channel, or provide trivia or other games, or to op people when they join a channel and more! To get a bot, you need to download one. You can download bots from websites such as mircscripts.org. They should come with documentation explaining how to load and run the bot, although what's described above is a general guide.

Another common type of bot that does not use the mIRC scripting language is the "eggdrop bot" - these are usually the preferred choice when setting up a "shell account" and running a bot 24/7. For further information and help with eggdrops, go to egghelp.org.

Bots are not always necessary. If you're very new then you might want to try and use one at a later date when you're more familiar with mIRC/IRC terminology.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#85429 05/06/04 04:06 AM
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
You said to unzip the file to my mIRC directory... How do I do that... When I extract the files, it doesn't give me the option of choosing the mIRC...

X
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
X
You may also want to visit your local help channel on the network your channel is set up on and inquire about "network" bots. They do a lot of the functions, such as op, voice, and a lot of other options depending on the bot they offer (if any). It is a good primer in understanding some basic functions for setting up a more complex bot in the future.

sometimes these are as bad as quit messages :tongue:
G
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
Never mind... I found out how to extract it to there...

Thanks for the help!

Link Copied to Clipboard