mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#83226 16/05/04 04:49 PM
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
The last time I downloaded mIRC the program asked me to fill in personal information (i.e. Name, Address, CC#, etc. etc.) so I decided not to fill it in and use the 30 day free trial.

I want to download mIRC, but my dad keeps telling me that it isn't free and that he won't download it because you have to pay for it. I told him that I knew alot of people who used mIRC didn't pay for it and they told me just to fill in false information.

My dad told me that they were doing it illegaly and that's unethical.

I just finished reading the "How To Install" topic on the home page and it said nothing about paying for mIRC.

Could someone please clarify if I have to pay for mIRC or not?

Thanks,
Bigdaddy1

#83227 16/05/04 04:52 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
mirc is shareware meaning after the 30 days of free trial period, you should pay for it. If you dont, while mirc wont stop working (aka it's not crippleware), you're using it illegally. I wont debate the issue about people use it and dont pay for it cause it's true and your dad's true about it being illegal and unethical

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#83228 16/05/04 04:59 PM
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Ok, thank you for clearing that up. Looks like I'll have to stick to www.gamesurge.net's java chat. frown

#83229 16/05/04 05:41 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If financial difficulties are the issue you do have the option to pay $10 instead of $20. If, as with many parents, transferring CC info over the Internet is not an option, there are other ways to pay including fax and postal payment (although postal payment is subject to an extra $2.50 charge + VAT - another reason there's an option to pay $10 instead).

Also remember that it's a one time registration. Every single future update is free - there are NO catches, gimmicks or small print. Register now and you can still be using a registered version of mIRC in 10 years time. Once it's done, it's done and forgotten - putting life in perspective, what's $10-$20 for a lifetime registration?

Also, whilst your dad is correct it's unethical to "crack" mIRC, it's understandable for people not to be always be able to pay instantly, the day the 30 day period is up. As far as I know, Khaled understands this - If it will take you another 1/2/3 months to convince your dad, or get the money yourself, then that's acceptable.

Might be worth mentioning these points to your dad and see if he can make a better judgement - Having started out on a java chat client for 2 1/2 years, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#83230 16/05/04 09:49 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
In the connect options of mIRC, on the line where it says "full name" most ppl dont put their real name, they generally use some lil phrase. That doesnt have to be the name you register mIRC under. In fact, its not a good idea to use your real name there since it would be visible to others online. The "email" line also doesnt have to be your real email addy. That part of options has nothing to do with registering mIRC. The personal info you fill in on the registration page to register your copy of mIRC is confidential.

My compliments to your dad for setting a good example for you! One thing you might mention to him is that for the next month, Khaled is donating all registration fees for mIRC to
Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières) which is a wonderful organization that does a tremendous amount of good. see this thread or go to http://www.mirc.com/news.html where you will see other recent fund raisers Khaled has contributed sales of mIRC to.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#83231 17/05/04 04:38 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
While everyone has complemented you Dad on telling you not to do things illegal.... I would like to say good show BY YOU for taking time to ask the question, and being willing to accept the anwer, your parents should be proud of you.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
#83232 17/05/04 06:08 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Absolutely!

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#83233 19/05/04 11:32 AM
C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
If you're not gonna use mIRC, use X-Chat wink

My ally is the compiler, and a powerful ally it is!

Link Copied to Clipboard