mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
W
Hi I had reinstalled my Windows 2000 to Windows XP Professional ... after that I had installed a clean Version of Mirc to have a chat session with my Friends ...

I wanted to Play Battelfield Vietnam while Mirc was open ... but when I tried to start the Game it popped back to the Desktop ... After that I tried some other Games such as Quake 3 / Steam; CS/HL/DOD / Unreal Tournament / Need For Speed Underground and much more. The most games wont start ... but Quake 3 and UT had given some Error Messages:

Quake3: isnt able to load the OpenGL Engine ...
UT can´t load its Direct 3D Engine ...

The Funnyest is: when i close MiRC then all games work ... but when I restart it ... the games will crash or the games would not start again since mirc is closed ...

When I Start my Computer on 2000 again the Mirc installation Works with my games ...

My hard & Software:
Windows XP Professional (all actual Drivers & Patches installed, Sp1 too)
ASUS A7N8X
768 MB DDR PC333 RAM
AMD ATHLON 1800+ (Temp ~ 40°)
Maxtor 120 GB HDD
Quantum 40 GB HDD
BENQ 32x CDRW Drive
Philipps 48x CD Drive

Anyone an Idea what the Problem of my Systm is?

W
OP Offline
W
Now I Think that miRC under XP blocks the complete Change of the Resolution ...

I can´t change my desktop Resolution when mirc is running.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Are you sure your mirc.exe isn't infected with a virus?
Or try a clean version of mIRC without any Scripts and DLL's

one step closer to world domination
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Might also want to check the display settings of mIRC and perhaps the games you are trying to run.

Right click mIRC, click on 'Properties' and go to 'Compatibility'. All 3 boxes under 'Display settings' should not be checked. In fact, by default, none of those boxes should be checked. I don't know whether or not the same goes for the games, but by default I believe most applications do not have those boxes checked.

Game specifications should be outlined in the manual, such statements as 'Game runs best in 256 colours' may be of interest.

Doubtful, but try /remote off before starting a game, there are gaming scripts out there which, perhaps, have been interfering with the game running.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
ive got exactly the same error! and im glad that i finally found someone with the same problem smile
every time i have mirc open a little bit, i cant change the resolution what is necessary to play some games, so i have to close it, and i have this problem although i reinstalled windows some times since the first time i had the bug, and i have a new mainboard, a new gfx card, a new monitor and i reinstalld mirc some times, but i still have this problem! i dont know what it could be, i dont use any dll's except mdx and i dont think that this could be the reason. and i also checked the thing with compatibility and there were no boxes checked.
and i dont wanna do /remote off everytime because i dont want to turn my scripts off, then i wouldnt have had to write them...
so pleaseanyone could help i would really appreciate it

W
OP Offline
W
I had found one thing out of my Comp ... its not OpenGL or D3D specific, its the Change of Resolution when I try to start a game ...

I can Play all games in Windowed Mode ... but this is infact not the right way to play these games ...

1. Sephiroth :
I had reinstalled Mirc Clean everytime With and without Scripts. In this way, I do not Think of an Worm or Virus since my Virus Scanner is New Enough to detect almost all Viruses so Far (Mc Affee Home 2004) wink

2. Mentality:
The Display Settings of Mirc are in fact at this time on Mirc Standard ...
The Compatibility Settings of Windows XP are not activated for Mirc (activating them doesnt change anything ... games wont run, too!)
The games will in case run out of the box directly under winXP so i do not need to activate compatiblity mode for them ... I tried it with some games , but it won `t work, too .
These games are at Least actual Games so they are Running all under 32 Bit / 16 Bit Settings ... older Games that are Supporting 256 Colors are effected, too
/remote off doesn' t Change the issues, its definitely Mirc wink

3. GodInHell :
Hmm I thought I was the Only one, too wink

G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
hmm but i dont know why thats just the two of us with this problem... i dont have anything special with my system, i use the newest gfx drivers from nvidia and i use normal winxp like thousands of other mirc users too... i dont know why i have this problem! one when i tried to change the resolution and it didnt work again, i got a bluescreen with an error with nv4_mini.sys... i think it was this file, i dont know for sure but it was something with nvidia and something with mini in it ^^ but i tried different drivers as well... no effect

W
OP Offline
W
I don´t know why Mirc this does but it seems to screw up the Resolution Changing under XP ...

Its not Driver Related ... I had tried yesterday an ATI Card ... same as with my Nvidida ... nothing changed ....

Can anyone of the Mirc Devs say anything about this "problem"?!

G
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
G
I think this is related to using an image as window background. I couldn't change the display resolution with mIRC running either (using WinXP pro, mIRC 6.03).
Setting 'Background' to 'none' solved the problem.

Btw, using a background image lets mIRC freeze for a few seconds sometimes, especially when switching or opening a new channel window.

Last edited by garandou; 07/05/04 03:18 PM.
W
OP Offline
W
Hmmm you are Right ... all games Work well when I disable the BackgroundPicture of Windows ..

But can anyone Explain me the connection betwenn the Windows Wallpaper , the Screen Resolution Change and MiRC? ... its Really confusing that MiRC under XP makes such a trouble ...

G
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
G
garandou, i love you! i really love you! you are my god!! finally, i can change resolution, i can play games and i dont have to close and open irc all the time!!! thanks garandou, big thanks!!!! laugh

S
S
Even though we found a way to fix it, this shouldn't be 'solution' to do this. I think a bug fix for this is REQUIRED. This is a HUDGE problem IMHO. If one application inhibits so many things, it deserves to be addressed.

Link Copied to Clipboard