Print Thread
#78605 09/04/04 07:55 AM
B
bob1313 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
i want to start to make addons and scritps, i was wondering what is a good way to learn.

Last edited by bob1313; 09/04/04 07:56 AM.
#78606 09/04/04 08:28 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Although there are various other sites around, personally I quite like this page from the mIRC website, where it is written:

Quote:
The best way to learn and understand the way mIRC's programmable sections work is by studying this chapter in consecutive order. Really!

The mIRC FAQ is downloadable as a separate item from this website, and while not perfect the mIRC help file can be pretty helpful, too! wink

Unfortunately, some scripting features are only described in the complete mIRC versions.txt, which you will need to download from this site as well (only a shorter version ships with the mIRC installation package).

I would suggest starting with simple aliases, moving on to think about popups, and then having a look at remotes. Remember that for 99.99% of us there is ALWAYS something new to learn, and don't be afraid to ask for help if there's something you don't understand - either here or in IRCnet channels devoted to script help.

Good luck, and have fun!

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
#78607 09/04/04 04:54 PM
B
bob1313 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
ok i will do that , thx for helping me.

#78608 09/04/04 11:07 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I started making simple timers to remind me to do stuff , the washing, cook dinner etc( IRC Addiction was taking over).
Pretty soon I moved on to messing around with popups, making them do more than just display some colours, like finding out how to make them display the same based on someones nick length for example.
Having never scripted or written in any programming language I found mIRC's help files to be fantastic, they really do describe each thing you want very well, mostly with good examples that you can tinker with. Eventually I found this forum (you have a heads up on me) where all the best help is. Nobody here will flame you for asking something you cant grasp, and most helpers will try their best to get you on your way with the best advice they have. We were all newbies once. Good luck in your scripting, pretty soon you will be doing little else!!

billythekid
#78609 10/04/04 12:49 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Well. This is how I did it. I found myself an IRC server. At that time, I was interested in the game of YGO but not anymore. I wanted to get some scripts that would say thank you for op or w/e. I asked some of my friends to make me one. I had asked them what each thing does when I didn't understand what it was. As I learned from them, I started making my own using the scripts I had already gotten from them as templates. And pretty soon, I got good enough to make my "VERY" own scripts. Try it. Go find a server with good scripters and maybe a scripting channel. Thats how I got good.

- Relinsquish

Link Copied to Clipboard