mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
I have read the existing information on this site that explains this error. And have visited the link posted by codemastr but I am not convinced it will work (although I am currently testing it with my situation). The following was also sent to help@mirc.com (I should have posted here first, sorry).

System Specs:
WinXP Pro SP1
pII 400
768mb of ram
11 mIRCs (irc bot service)
100mb ram drive (bots hard drive)

About a month ago we started seeing the "no buffer space available" message on our bots after about 1 week of uptime. Needless to say the bots all got disconnected from IRC and were unable to connect while receiving this error. We have tried many many things and are completely stumped. At first we thought it may be our bot stats script which creates a htm file so that viewers of our website (http://XBots.net) can see information about the bots. Unloading this script made no difference. We tried having each bot restart after every 10 days of uptime (staggered and based on the current date). We then thought that maybe we weren't "returning" after events\aliases in scripts. After that maybe the ram drive (which was 45 mb then) was too small even though the drive specs showed that there was some mb of free space? We tried switching from "programs" to "system cache" in the memory usage section under system properties>advanced tab>performance section>settings>memory usage section. The virtual memory settings on that machine are 576-2152 on the c drive. The only other programs that are in use during all of this is a "free mem plus" program which is supposed to free up unused memory, as these have never sparked my interest I also tried not using this for a week with the same exact results. We went from 6.03 (not getting the error this much) then to 6.12 then to 6.14 for a few days then back to 6.12. Our scripts evolved quite a bit from 6.03 to 6.1x so I am not convinced that it is a problem introduced with a newer version of mIRC. Tonight we are going to go to win2k and see if that might allow them to stay online longer or completely annihilate this issue.

Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
i took a copule screen shots this last time.
this was just after a reboot. http://xbots.net/reboot.jpg
this was 1 day after the reboot during the after noon: http://xbots.net/afternoon.jpg
this was at night on the same day of the afternoon.jpg pic: http://xbots.net/botsdied.jpg

in the third picture i had just recovered from all the bots getting disconnected from irc and getting this error over and over again. When this occurs it doesn't seem to just be a not enough network connections availble issue. The entire system seems to be hosed (i can't see icons, some programs like taskman won't run or i get a error trying to run them etc etc other non networking related problems). This was a clean xp pro system before installing mirc and the ramdrive xp software and free mem pro (which again has been not used for a week during some of our tests)

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Have you tried clearing your channel buffers with /clear (or /clearall) every so often?

What size is your buffer set at? 4096 is a fairly decent size, and anything over that is overkill, in my opinion.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
Yes, the bots /clearall every 24hrs. Im not fimiliar with how to set the buffer size, are you referring to "Window buffer:" in options>other? I suppose that doesn't need to be very big at all in most cases since there is very little in this stage that I need to see in a window. I could just turn on debug or log a seperate window if i needed to see the buffer of a specific window.

Link Copied to Clipboard