mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
J
I applied that command during the last DCC exploit warning, and since i decided i did not want to risk the DCC transfer system, i need to disable it, but i don't know how to? help? ^_^;;;;
For the record: windows 98, cable 512kbps, mIRC 6.03, firewall never posed problems, no proxy

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Type /ignore -[color:red]rwd *[/color].

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If you want to protect yourself from DCC exploits then you need to upgrade to mIRC 6.14. mIRC 6.03 does have an exploit in it which you need /ignore -dw * to protect yourself from. I would not suggest disabling that ignore if you are still using 6.03.

For complete protection from exploits, upgrade. It's important to always keep up to date with the latest mIRC version smile

Happy chattin'.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
J
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
J
Thank you, that actually worked!! ^_^

Y
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Y
Latest mIRC does still have a dcc exploit

"A new DCC security issue has been discovered in mIRC. This is a completely new DCC exploit unrelated to previous exploits, and all versions are vulnerable to this new discovery, including the new 6.14.
Malicious users have already been found who abuse this exploit against users.
This new exploit is rather serious as it does not just crash a mIRC client, but allows the malicious user to execute arbitrary code, as well as perform any mIRC command.
At this point no patch is available to close the exploit. Ignoring all DCC requests, or having a proxy in between the client and the user which blocks DCC requests will prevent the exploit being abused.
You can either ignore DCC's from the configuration panel which can be accessed through ALT-O, or use the following command from any window: /ignore -wd *"

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
That is not a real exploit, it was a mistake. Yes, all of the top 5 networks made a mistake. Yes, news websites made a mistake. Yes, thousands of users were alarmed for pretty much no reason.

mIRC 6.14 is not vulnerable to exploitation

What is vulnerable is a script which can be loaded into mIRC. It is a 3rd party script that has no affiliation with mIRC.

Please note the Updates at www.quakenet.org and www.irc-junkie.org as they both state that it was a mistake.

Once again, to reiterate, mIRC 6.14 is safe to use.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard