mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
W
I personally dont find it worth the time or effort to change the version reply but my standing on the matter is you have to pay for mirc. thus khaled is making money. if you pay for a program you should have every right to keep information about that program a secret or to prevent mass ctcps.
That to me is like buying an automobile and having it illegal to remove the dealership sticker. I khaled considers this because its dumb not to allow a persion to keep their privacy on what they are using....and how in the hell is the debug going to change you version reply? if you want to get past the new version reply on 6.14 the only way i see it to constantly refresh the ctcp version. kinda like if you versioned yourself and then versioned yourself 2 seconds after that. the first version will reply mirc 6.14 or whatever and the second wont if you got a ctcp *:version:

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Disabling the version reply does not prevent you being flooded with CTCP requests, it just stops mIRC from replying to it. This can be good and bad. While you won't get killed for flooding, someone may be CTCPing you and since mIRC isn't responding you will be unaware of the attack. I think the usermode (where available) is a better idea - being server-side it stops the attack before it reaches you.

Don't forget that 0% CTCP reply on connection can also lead to you being banned from some networks. Warbots rarely return a version reply and a security bot may simply assume that you are a hostile connection which is reasonable in my view.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard