Print Thread
#68140 16/01/04 02:50 PM
K
kroy Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
K
Ok im new to this board and I did a quick search to no avail.

Here is my situation.
I have a friend who runs his own irc service, im not sure what daemon or version he is using. Probably the latest IRCD for slack. I don't have ircop access but I can get it no problem, he is a real good personal friend. He is pretty busy with his new job so I want to be able to do this without harassing him about it and so I can use this as a learning experience.

I want to setup a private channel only accesible by users with usernames/passwords I select for them. How would I go about doing this? Will I need a bot and witch one would be good to use?

Basically I want to use a private channel for the moderators and admins from a message board I am on, we want to keep regular members of our board in the dark about this. Sometimes we have to do posts back and forth in a private forum (Vbulletin) and keep refreshing, this is a slow process. I would use an Aim chat, but screw AOL. Plus members have various chat protocols they use and do not want to switch.

I have been using IRC fwith Mirc for years. I have just done the basics so I really am at a loss here.

#68141 16/01/04 03:10 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
the only ways "what i know about" is to ether put the channel keyed.. /mode #channel +k som_key this means that you have to type /join #channel som_key to be able to join it.. or set in +i "invite only", this means that somone have to invite the person that wants to join this channel.. and the one doing the invite must be oped in that channel.. then you have another sulution for it.. it is to have a eggdrop bot running a TCL, this TCL makes every one joining the channel auth with a password, if the user dont give the pass to the bot the bot will kick that person.. "can also be set to ban", if you know what a eggdrop is and running one, then i can send you the TCL.. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
#68142 18/01/04 11:30 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
if it runs services like uworld or chanserv/nickserv you can add people to the access list of the channel and set the channel on invite only (+i), people with access can invite themselfs using the services.

this does not require any oper access, you only need to own the channel

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
#68143 19/01/04 07:18 AM
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
For channels/networks without services, like IRCnet, an eggdrop bot will do the trick. Set the channel to +i (invite only) and anyone with flags can message the bot from outside the channel for the an invitation. Just make sure that users know the bot's alternative nicks!

PastMaster

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:

Link Copied to Clipboard