mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
argv0 Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
A
Been messing with $regex and its children recently, and I discovered a couple of 'issues' with them, specifically $regsub.

Summary
  • %var parameter of $regsub should be optional
  • $regsub should handle $identifiers/expressions in 'subtext'

Issue #1
First and foremost, (out of sheer personal preference) I find that the interface for $regsub is a bit awkward to use.

Code:
$regsub([name], text, re, subtext, %var)

Note that the last parameter is a %var. To me this is slightly awkward, in the sense that i feel that $regsub should be able to be used inline, just like $replace would (since thats what it is). I dont think that you should be setting a variable, rather $regsub should return the modified string directly.

Now I know that $regsub (currently) returns some very valuable information, specifically, the number of matches detected, but generally this information is kind of useless when it comes to a replace function, and not a matching one.

Obviously the fourth parameter should not be TAKEN OUT (for those who want to use it to return matches) but i believe that the fourth parameter should be optional, and if not given, $regsub will return the modified string, so it can be used inline. Moreover, if its possible (and not to stressing on Khaled's coding time), a $regn should be added to return the number of matches to the last $regsub() call [the same way $readn returns the line matched in the last $read() call].

An 'almost perfect' workaround:

A clear and simple workaround to making the fourth param optional would be:

Code:
replacere {
    var %x, %r = $regsub($1, $2, $3, %x) 
    return %x
}

The problem with this alias however will be answered in my Issue #2

Issue #2

Glad you could make it this far... I tend to write a lot. This one will be slightly shorter, hopefully... Anyway, $regsub has another limitation which doesnt allow it to evaluate expressions within the subtext parameter (param #3) of the $regsub call. I tried every way I could think of to get it to evaluate but just couldn't. evaluating expressions in that parameter can be very useful.

For example:

Sum the numbers in the string: 1 2
One solution would be: (I use $replacere for inline regsubbing)
Code:
//echo -a $calc($replacere(1 2, /(\d+) (\d+)/, \1 + \2))

The problem with putting $calc outside lies in the simple idea of greedy matching. If i were to try this example:
Sum each set of 2 numbers in the list: 1 2 3 4
(I want to return 1+2 and 3+4, or 3 and 7)
Code:
//echo -a $calc($replacere(1 2, /(\d+) (\d+)/g, \1 + \2))

The above code would try to $calc(1 + 2 3 + 4), which of course is errant.

Workaround #2, with a limitation

Updating my $replacere alias, I get:
Code:
replacere {
  var %x, %r
  if ($4 == e) {
    %r = $regsub($1, $2, $replace($3, $chr(36), ÿ), %x)
    return $eval($replace(%x, ÿ, $chr(36)), 2)
  }
  else {
    %r = $regsub($1, $2, $3, %x) 
    return %x
  }
}

This new alias has an optional 4th parameter which takes 'e', and will replace all identifiers $ with ÿ so that mIRC doesn't try to evaluate them inside (because it will fail if it does). After it regsubs it turns the ÿ's back to $'s and $eval()'s

Obvious limitation to this code, of course, is the unpredictable results if I were to use ÿ in a subtext string (of course the 'e' parameter combats that limitation, but only to an extent).

-----------------------

Conclusion

Okay, I laid out all the information I gathered. Basically what I'm trying to say is, there is no foolproof way to implement a workaround for $regsub that supports evaluating identifiers in the subtext parameter, so it would be nice to see that feature added.. And if the $regsub identifier was to be reworked, might as well make that 4th parameter optional to allow for inline usage.

There, I'm done. Thanks for reading. blush

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Both are very good ideas. The second one has been suggested quite a few times in the past, so I guess there's hope.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com

Link Copied to Clipboard