mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
kvadd Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
someone used that crash-dcc-bug on me and since then i can't start mirc again, it works with mirc 5 and lower but not with mirc 6, first time i tried it worked when i renamed aliases.ini. but now it just wont work at all

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
When you say it doesn't start, do you mean the program simply doesn't open? Or is there an error message? If so, what is it? Are you sure you didn't rename mIRC.exe?

You might want to try reinstalling mIRC and make sure you use 6.12 AND make sure you get it only from here.

Either way, I don't think this is a bug with mIRC, nobody that *I* have seen has reported this occuring. I was exploited about 5/6 times with the DCC exploit and I ran into no problems.

G'luck smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
probably happened in a pirating channel. They downloaded a movie, then got exploited. When they were done watching the movie, mirc wouldn't run. Later to find out the movie had a trojan or virus >:P

-KingTomato
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
In that case, he should definitely read this and be reminded that IRC is meant for CHATTING not downloading!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
<yet more uncalled for rudeness deleted by moderator>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 24/12/03 05:43 AM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
like any1 gonna listen...

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
<post deleted by moderator as being redundant, pointless and inflammatory>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 24/12/03 05:44 AM.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
For goodness sake will you just DROP it. Stop trying to cause arguments.

If you read KingTomato's post it was in reply to that, I was not judging anyone. The post was not accusing anyone of anything, it was just covering the issue *IF* the person had contracted a virus.

Now stop heckling me every time I mention the fact that downloading via IRC is not what IRC is meant for, the user was helped beforehand anyway.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
K
kvadd Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
ok, first of all i'm not on any pirating download-channel i was just simply chatting with my friends.

After it happend the mirc simply wouldn't start. i updated to the latest version (6.12) and the same problem accured, i don't have any viruses and scan my harddrive every friday.
i even use ad-aware frequently so i don't have any kind of spywares on the computer.

I tried some of the 6.0> versions and none of them work, now i use 5.91 witch works problem-free but i miss some of the stuff thats in 6.0> smile

I can't think of any problem that would just make mirc stop working since it ran problem free until i got exploited...

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You scanning your computer ever week.. does that mean with a free online scanner? or the apz running on your computer? i would recomend you to try the free online virus scanner if you havent done that smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I didn't think you were, it seems KingTomato is invisible or something because I was replying to *his* suggestion as to what happened. Also, in my last post the key word was "if" you had downloaded illegally. IF! And the key phrase in my second post is "In that case" smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
then remove all folders that contain mirc and itz files, remove all registry enteries from regedit, restart your pc and install it CLEAN and give it a try... if not:

1. cry
2. format hdd and install it again
3. kill bill gates or khaled

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
once again, i will politely ask you to please stop trying to start a flame war over someone following the policies we have here. this has gotten really old. you can have your opinion, but harping at another poster is a bit much. The original poster was helped, in spite of your opinion that they werent. We often give "if" "just in case" help in order to cover as many possibilites as possible and that isnt intended as an accusation. KT's post was certainly something that had to be considered.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I havent heard of what you describe happening as a result of either of the dcc exploits (not sure which you mean, and i'm a bit unlcear as to which version you were using when it happened so i cant narrow it down, sorry)

i'd also recommmend using an online scanner like housecall, since the problem could be related to the file being sent or the timing was coincidental. After running the online scan, i'd seriously consider an uninstall and clean download.

hrmmm. no error msgs? it just wont open from your desktop? did you check the path? checked the files in your mirc directory (like mirc.ini) ? tried doubleclicking on mirc.exe to open it?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
K
kvadd Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
K
i was using version 6.11 and yes i tried to open it from the directory, the scanner i'm using is Norton and not an warezed one.
but i'll try an online scanner and come back to you about it.
thx for the replies (at least the ones that tried to help me)

Link Copied to Clipboard