Print Thread
#586 09/12/02 12:35 PM
J
Jumario Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
J
I think mIRC is a great program and I can hardly find anything wrong with it. But after over 5 years of intense use, and logging of all private chats and channels, the number of logfiles has reached several thousand.
Many of theese logfiles are with the same user. Even though some find it "rude" og annoying like away-messages, it is very common that people change nick, depending on what they are doing. the most common nicks are nick^work nick^afk nick^zzz etc... and the more "geeked" people even uses nicks such as nick^food nick^shower nick^brb etc.

I think mIRC lacks an opportunity to automaticly merge nicknames of the same person. I know there is a merge function now, but you have to use it manually, and it is pretty primitive imo. It would be great if you could automate logfile-merging, depending on the users nickname, or even better - ident/host.
For exampe add a rule that adds goat, goat^afk, goat^zzz into goat.log - or, if possible even better adds *!*@goats.ip.here into goat.log - so no matter what goat calls himself, you will get all your conversations with him into the same logfile - if he has a static IP address of course - which most, or at least many people have today, due to ADSL / Cable modems etc. that has become a lot more common the last few years.

So what do you think, is it possible, and even more important - would it be usefull??

Regards
Juma Sondergard, Denmark

#587 11/12/02 07:50 AM
J
Jumario Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
J
no comments huh??

#588 12/12/02 08:13 AM
A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
I think host tracking of logs is a brilliant idea... however there would be problems when it comes to different users with the same host mask for those of us not lucky enough to have static IP's ;p

you would need a popup whenever someone with the same host mask messages you to ask if it is the same person, otherwise you would end up with one log file and multiple people. and i, like many people, hate popups ;p especially when you're in the middle of typing something, and the popup pops up right when you're about to press enter and it screws up the settings ;p

perhaps a manual exclusion list could be included, but this defeats the purpose as it would take just as long to merge the log files as it would to enter an exclusion :P plus if they have the same host, the exclusion would have to be done via nick, and this is extremely messy. plus the exclusion could only be done when it is too late, and someone different messages you and makes it into the log file.

I can only please one person per day. Today isn't looking good for you. Tomorrow isn't either grin

Link Copied to Clipboard