mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Funny, I got my WinXP Pro (legally) free. I paid a one time $80 fee and now I get many MS software titles totally free.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
He was actually suggesting that to mIRC users, who don't want to change their client. You're not using mIRC anymore, therefore you're not included. Like you just said, in other words, you don't have to bother.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Correct, I don't _have_ to bother, but I _want_ to bother.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I was replying to Theos stating that XP is a 'sort of' new version of NT, I was explaining one reason why it isn't the same as with mIRC 6.0x and mIRC 6.1x. Clearly since you're getting 'many MS software titles' for that $80 fee it has nothing to do with a free upgrade option for NT to XP.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Actually yes it totally does. The problem is, you didn't think it through. With mIRC, you are paying for an "upgrade contract" that is, upgrades are included in the fee. With Windows, you have a "single title contract" that is, you just get that one version. However, MS does sell "upgrade contracts." Do you think companys/schools/governments are gonna go down to the local software store every year or so and buy a few thousands CDs to upgrade their software? Of course not, they get an upgrade contract from MS. Thats what I have. The one I'm in is through my school. The school has a contract with MS where they pay a set fee and you can get free upgrades (I think it costs the school something like $8000 a year). To cover this, the school then charges students who wish to participate. So I pay my $80 and I get all the free updates I want from MS because instead of having a "single title contract" I purchased an "upgrade contract."

You're right you can't compare mIRC to Windows in the standard sense because they work differently, but if you pay the licensing fees, the Windows works just like mIRC.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Like in another thread, I'll just drop it.

* cold edits his posts 24/7
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Yes but the point is that you're paying a different amount so that you can get free upgrades from one OS to a newer one, you're not paying for a program and then getting new versions of that same program. It's simply not the same as a new version, it's a different product which in NT-to-XP's case just happens to have the same same lineage.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
R
what about apache 2.0.x and 1.3.x? Altough "Apache 2.0.47 is the best available version", they still released a bugfix version for the 1.3.x line.

Who will trade his karma for my kingdom?
Babel fish
Babel fish
IMO, we should all stop comparing software, as there will be neverending differences. Frankly speaking, Khaled has the rights to decide whether or not he wishes to release a bugfix for 6.03. If he feels that 6.12 should indeed be the "bugfix version" for 6.03, so be it. No point complaining and comparing any further. Khaled is the author! We don't get to tell M$ what to do either, do we? smile

W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
W
Well, I'm one who did upgrade to 6.12 and immediately discovered that my DCC send no longer worked. :tongue: Having failed to get any kind of suggestion at all to resolve this problem, I went back to 6.03, where DCC works perfectly.

(Incidentally, I do like version 6.1x, but 6.11, my previous version, is no longer available for download. I could only get 6.03 from a PC magazine CD-Rom).

So don't suggest that 6.12 is the cure for all ills, 'cause it ain't.

W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
/me thinkin operator errors

W
W
You can think all you like. But several people who chat with me have all had the same problem since upgrading, and I'm not the only person to have posted here with this problem. Nothing else on my PC - software, usage, anything at all - changed apart from the upgrade from 6.11 to 6.12.

If you put the same effort into trying to help people as you do into being sarcastic, you might actually serve a useful purpose around here.

W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
ooo that stung

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard