mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
padway Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
P
As I was browsing through the posts here looking for an explanation why 6.12 crashes (well for me it does) I noticed alot of posts about 6.03 being preferred over 6.12. I was wondering why that was so. I would imagine this could start a flame war... and I really don't mean to cause that. I also noticed some people are choosing to stick with older versions despite the recent crash bug. How can one do this? are there patches available that fix older version but don't upgrade you to a newer release?

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Those that are choosing to stay with v6.03 are doing so because they don't like the changes in the ui introduced in v6.1

No, there are no patches for 6.03 and probably won't be any.
If you're concerned with security, upgrade to 6.12
If you're concerned with the ui, stay with 6.03, although I
recommend the upgrade.

Last edited by r0ck0; 14/10/03 03:57 PM.
A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
In 6.1x, you can't stop the about box at startup if you're unregistered. It's illegal to use mIRC for more than 30 days without registering (and anyone who remembers 6.03 has definitely been using mIRC for more than 30 days) but who actually reads software licenses these days? frown

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
oh and of course, do not forget that one of the "grips" has no function, that's extremely important.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It is also a violation of the licensing agreement to use 6.03 or any other version after 30 days without registering it. This is nothing new. The only "new" part is that you dont have a little box to check saying dont show this reminder again.

Course, if you just register it as you should, you wont see the screen any more. problem solved.

"Gee, i dont want to be reminded i'm supposed to be paying to use this shareware" isnt much of a reason for not using something, imo, but to each his own.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Yup lets not forget them! Btw you're right, the "grip" issue is such a minor issue. But doesn't that sorta prove my point? If adding an option for something that is so "minor" and "insignifigant" is all it takes to make people happy, why not just do it?

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i kinda agree with you there actually....
the grips dont bother me 1 bit though.
in fact they blend in with my theme grin

new username: tidy_trax
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I must admit, if that little thing which has caused so many problems isn't fixed in the next major release, then, in my opinion, Khaled is asking for flame wars *shrugs*

I mean, I would have still not noticed them had they not been brought up on these Forums, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if it's never removed/fixed again, but I'm just coming from a Forum point of view.

I think many people have been extremely unfair towards the team this time round - from ONE version not being up to everyone's expectations? Pft. Not learning from your mistakes is another story though....

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
in my personal opinion ... id love to see mirc use multiple events triggering to perform the same command .. something like
:

on *:Part,Join,Quit:#: { do something }

another method would be by using case statements ... either one of them would make me so much happier ..... id like to see the ability to use images in text ... like and icon replacement for text .. allowing the use of they screwed up smily faces ... or adding a countries flag to the end of thier ip. id like to see the nicklist sort method back to the 6.03 method. id also like to see the nicklist allow for adding a control buttons under neath it like ive seen in other clients. id also like to see the prefix in the nicklist be able to be replaced with icons if so wanted. id love for the switchbar to be changed to either .. a treeview type or something similar as to what codemastr suggested with a scrollbar next to it. those are my all time wish lists for mirc. will i ever see them? not likely. if i look for another client that already does use them ..... id have to learn a different scripting language. if khaled where to just simply add one thing from that list the best thing id like to see is the case statements. Now your all reading this going why isnt he posting this in the features suggestions forum. ill give u an answer. this isnt a feature suggestion, they are things that have already been suggested several times over. yet overlooked for adding crap like grips to a toolbar. ACK i could just gag myself with the awesome feature suggestions that khaled chose to overlook and then initiated changes that simply no one ever suggested or asked for. now u all can say well too bad if u dont like it. really in a sense your right. mirc is currently top dog. but with other clients adding so much more than mirc currently has. after over 8 yrs development i might add. the puzzling part is ... how is mirc still number one? The answer is quite simple, its all of our stubborness, stubborness than makes us hang here hoping and waiting for the very next update hoping khaled will add one of your ideas. he doesnt tho. so u simply suggest it again and wait. its a vicious cycle khaled keeps u in this cycle because u all allow him to. forcing him to step pace with a new decade or forcing mirc into inexistance. IRC isnt about being top dog... its just like in nature, learn to adapt and change ..... or be passed by ...... dinosaurs learned that lesson at great expense... should mirc have to learn it that way? i for one hope it doesnt have to before khaled starts answering his public and giving them all something they ask for. sure at one time mirc was in a final release..... but that isnt the case now... it is a developed and author supported program, we all literally are the hands that feed this man. its our voices he should be listening to. im going to close this now in hopes that atleast someone can see this as not being a flame but merely being a truly annoyed user of mirc. and yes a 6.03 user for the record.

D3m0nnet.com
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Hmm the about dialog does not pop up on startup once you're registered? Or does it still does?

trenzterra
AustNet #trenzterra and #w
Head Scripter @ http://trenzterra.uni.cc

Link Copied to Clipboard