mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Mtaki Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
this has only began in the last few days.i havnt installed any new software or anything.i was doing just what i was doing everyday: getting into Mirc,and started downloading.only this time it was different.i've noticed that alot of stuff i was downloading was getting disconected (mostly from Bots) saying the 'connection reset by peer' coused it.so i try to download again and Mirc Freezed for a min or so,and then,when it finally resumes,it's not as fast as it was before,and when i complete the file,when i go to check it,verious programs tell me that the file is incomplete or curropted.I've tried everything:reinstalling 'clean' mirc,virus scan,adaware scan,diskscan,defragment = nothing helped.it only made things worse: now,i download files,every thing is going ok,but if i try to CANCEL a download,my computer freezes for a few long seconds (which couses my other downloads to time out,which couses those files to become curropted after they are completed)Also,when i try to close down Mirc,my computer crashes.the file issues happens mostly with BIG files.

please help me,i have no where else to turn...

edit: OH YHEA,i have Win98SE smirk

Last edited by Mtaki; 13/10/03 12:08 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
-are you using any "speed patches" ?
-the peer disconnect makes me wonder if your isp has some limitations in effect to prevent bandwidth hogging
-if you have win98 with 256 or more RAM, it could be the vcache prob. Basically Win98SE will use all available memory for its disk cacheing. No limits are set by default. The file activity of the DCC sends causes the cache to fill up rapidly. See the following URLS and check your system.ini for your VCACHE entries, you may need to adjust the MinFileCache and the MaxFileCache.
here

here

and here, all MS support pages

some have resolved it by changing to:
[vcache]
MinFileCache=75000
MaxFileCache=200000

WARNING: We do not support making any changes to your system.ini file. That is something that should only be done by an extremely experienced user.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
M
Mtaki Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
i have 32Mb RAM (yhea,i know crazy ).can you recommend the appropiete numbers to put as minimum and maximum?

BTW,all the links you gave me bring me to a 'page not found' massage

Last edited by Mtaki; 13/10/03 03:58 PM.
M
Mtaki Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
would someone please help me? this is really ticking me off

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
the vcache prob i talked about applies to 256+ ram, i cant advise whether their is anything you should change for a small amount of ram.

re the links, i guess Microsoft decided win98 isnt important any more since they stopped supporting it. Try a search of their knowledge base on win98 using the word vcache

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
M
Mtaki Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
okay,i've change my vcache,and apperantly that's not it.also,now if download the entire file in one take,it's okay,but if i try to stop then resume it,it comes out corrupted (the resume itself takes about 20 seconds of computer hangs before it begins...) any ideas? i know you dont like answering questions about downloading and such,but i could still use the help smile

Link Copied to Clipboard