Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#52871 08/10/03 05:30 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
It's his program, he can do what he wants with it. If you don't want to pay the money then make your own irc client. There's this terrible idea nowadays of open source being cool and everything that's involves money being lame. Well sorry but we're not all so sad that we like to invent the wheel for ourselves over and over with everything.

Well, open source software and software you pay for are not mutually exclusive concepts. You can charge for open source software, I have, in fact I've written a couple of open source programs that I sold for something like $750 a piece. It's just, instead of getting just the .exe file, you also get all the source code as well. But it doesn't have to be free. Prime example would be Linux. Red Hat for example charges something like $150 for the OS, and you get the source.
So basically, you can have open source software that isn't free.

#52872 10/10/03 12:51 PM
A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
the thing with mirc is that most people don't know about free clients
many don't even know the difference between mirc and irc.

so yea.. the mirc author is doing the same thing M$ is doing with operating system, browser, office, etc..
a mean.. is the free openoffice.org any worse than M$ office? i don't think so. but people still prefer to have an illegal version of M$ office without trying OOo

so.. people will pay for mirc because they do not know about the alternatives.. or don't want to try them. i see people on my channel cracking mirc. and if I tell them to try something else instead they don't want to because they are used to mirc and their favorite script.
Hydrairc in version 0.3 looks like it'll go right past mirc in functionality. right now there are some thing missing.. but it's already a great irc client. the same goes for icechat and other free clients

and what better time to start demanding money for mirc that right now? before the alternatives become more popular.

#52873 10/10/03 03:38 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I've used Hydrairc, I don't like it at all.

#52874 10/10/03 04:31 PM
A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
Well.. cool.. i mean.. you have to try different programs and choose the one you like.. and if you are still ready to pay for mirc then pay.

What I hate is people bitchin' about the mirc payment when they don't even try any other program.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard