Print Thread
#5259 06/01/03 09:10 PM
M
Muun Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Bug one: mirc doesn't recognize links with the irc protocol in them. If you try "/server <a href="irc://irc.domain.xyz"" target="_blank">irc://irc.domain.xyz"</a>, you'll get the message "connecting to irc", instead of mirc trying to connect to "irc.domain.xyz", as it presumably should do. (Additionally, mirc should interpret the characters that follow single slashes in links as channel names, since links to most channels on websites are given in this format - "irc:///irc.servername.xyz/channelname". But if you try /server on such a link, even if you cut off the protocol part (which, as I mentioned, isn't interpreted properly), mirc will still do nothing if the channel name is in it. It should recognize a slash as the marking of a channel name, and try to join a channel with the name that follows this slash...

In other words, typing "/server <a href="irc:///irc.servername.xyz/channelname"" target="_blank">irc:///irc.servername.xyz/channelname"</a> should:
- try to join irc.servername.xyz
- try to enter #channelname after joining that server

Another bug - mirc never maximizes its windows on startup, even though I have it set in options, and I put "/showmirc -x" to commands that should be performed on startup; it does nothing - whenever mirc starts, the main window isn't maximized, and I have to do it manually... At least all other windows opened after I maximize the first one open maximized, but still, the first window is never maximized on startup, though it should be... :\

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Open mIRC no need to connect. Maximise the Status Window, then right click on the window button, click "Position" then click "Remember". CLose mIRC and restart it. Status Window, and others following it, should now be fully maximised.

I have found that irc:// works only on the servers in 'servers.ini' - I could be wrong but tests I've done in the past seem to match that scenario.

X
X
I believe the 'irc://irc.domain.com/chan' is to be used on websites only since it is related to http:// and aim:. Dont use '/server <a href="irc://irc.domain.com'" target="_blank">irc://irc.domain.com'</a> to connect to a server. Its pointless.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok im not totally sure why someone would think typing /server <a href="irc://irc.server.net/chan" target="_blank">irc://irc.server.net/chan</a> is easier than actually typing /server irc.server.net ........ but i dont think thats a bug i think its more for the efect that anyone attempting to add more work to themselves in typing is probably not all that bright to figure out that its a html link and not a server name ........ if u want to connect to that server the way ur typing it u dont type /server .... since its a url ull have to type /run <a href="irc://blah" target="_blank">irc://blah</a> blah blah ...... and so on ...... that way it is sent to the correct program to handle it ....... your browser

D3m0nnet.com
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
1.Not a bug. irc:// is only used in the Web browser
2.Not a bug. You need to configure this differently. Maximize the main mIRC window, click on the icon left of the File menu and select Position > Remember

Please do not presume too fast if something doesn't work your way it's a bug..

M
Muun Offline OP
OP Offline
M
>ok im not totally sure why someone would think >typing /server <a href="irc://irc.server.net/chan" target="_blank">irc://irc.server.net/chan</a> is easier than >actually typing /server irc.server.net ........ but i dont >think thats a bug i think its more for the efect that >anyone attempting to add more work to themselves in typing >is probably not all that bright

I assumed anyone reading my message would have enough, ah, neuron power to see and understand how often the need for the support of links with protocol in them arises, without the need to point it out... but all right then: let me explain it slowly and in details using an actual incident as an example:

- I see a link to a server and a channel in, say, a text-mode message when I read group alt.a.group.i.often.hang.out.in in Xnews. I can't even count how often people give links to IRC servers with the protocol included; perhaps it's added automatically by their proofreading software when it finds an instance of "irc." - that I don't know, but fact of the matter is that links with the protocol appear extremely often all over Usenet as well as the Web in general.

- I want to go there quickly - I assume I *can* in fact do it very quickly, merely by pushing four keys, typing a six-letter word, moving the mouse once and clicking its TB two times.

- Therefore, I double-click the link so that it is selected, then I copy it to the clipboard. I run mIRC. I type /server and paste the contents of the clipboard. Logically, I should now be able to merely press enter and allow mIRC to process the command and recognize that it was given a link to a server and a channel on that server. Of course, that is not the case. I need to delete the name of the channel and the slash, then move to the beginning of the pasted link and delete the protocol from it. *Then* mIRC allows the connection. *But* - it should accept the link as it originally is: it's an IRC client, it should recognize what "irc://" means and how to process it.

Bright, er, _clear_ enough?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Start by reading the helpfile:

/server [-mnsar] <server/groupname> [port] [password] [-i nick anick email name] [-j #channel pass]

now...is <a href="irc://irc.wherever.com" target="_blank">irc://irc.wherever.com</a> a server? Nope, so /server obviously isn't the command you should be using (THAT is logic, using a command in a way that isn't specified is NOT). This isn't a bug, it's something you would like to see added (which surely someone with your amount "neuron power" should be able to script yourself, no?).

Insulting people really ISN'T the way to make people like you, or the way to make people listen to your ideas.

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
as a temp 'fix' (should you consider this a bug.. as its more of an annoyance):
alias s { tokenize 47 $1 | server $2 $iif($3,-j $3) }

/s <a href="irc://irc.wherever.com:6666" target="_blank">irc://irc.wherever.com:6666</a>
/s <a href="irc://irc.wherever.com:6666/test" target="_blank">irc://irc.wherever.com:6666/test</a>

evil is in the eye of the beholder
P
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
P
If you insist on using the irc:// URL then you could always type /run <a href="irc://blah" target="_blank">irc://blah</a> as _demon_ said and you'd save yourself 3 characters too smirk

/me goes back to his igloo

Link Copied to Clipboard