mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
rbhibbs Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
$address(...) returns the address of nick according to the mask type given unless there is no entry in the IAL, when the identifier returns $null.

I'm trying to retireve the address for a nick in order to supply ChanServ with a required parameter -- the nick being currently a member of the channel as shown in the nicklist -- but the result of my attempts is always $null.

If I use commands such as /ignore ... and specify the nickname and type, the commands properly retrieve the address (though it may be from the response to /userhost, rather than lookup in the IAL) producing the expected result.

I should mention that I specifically enable the IAL during initialization of my script.

Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding the operation of the IAL in general, and the $address() identifier in particular?

Thanks for comments, opinions, and suggestions...

--Barr

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Thats not a bug. If the user was in the channel before you got there, and the user has not said anything in the channel since you arrived, mIRC is unable to know the user's hostname. If you type /who the_nick_here then the IAL lookup will work. Additionally doing /who #channel will update the IAL.

R
rbhibbs Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
R
thanks--I'll definitely be certain to use one of the methods you suggest to update the IAL before using $address()

A
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
A
If all you want to do is get someones [email]user@host[/email] for the IAL, "/userhost nick" is preferred over "/who nick", since /userhost dosen't send as much information

Link Copied to Clipboard