mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#44153 26/08/03 01:05 AM
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I downloaded the latest version of mIRC, the problem is I can't get it to work! It just keeps coming back with 'unable to connect, connection refused', no matter what server I click on.
I've entered my name, address, and nickname, and I'm not in invisible mode, so surely everything should be ok?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
1. Make sure that your firewall is not blocking port 6667.
2. If you are trying it from your school/workplace there's a likely chance that the headmaster/employer has had IRC blocked.

Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I tried switching my norton firewall program off to see if that would help, but it's still rejecting any possible connection, it's very strange.

Unless, of course, I've change something in the options menu on mIRC that I shouuldnt have, and don't know what the default setting was in the frst place. Thats the only thing I can think of that I couldve done to upset the program, but Im pretty sure I haven't touched anything

Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I tried switching my norton firewall program off to see if that would help, but it's still rejecting any possible connection, it's very strange.

Unless, of course, I've change something in the options menu on mIRC that I shouldnt have, and don't know what the default setting was in the frst place. Thats the only thing I can think of that I couldve done to upset the program, but Im pretty sure I haven't touched anything

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Another thing to make sure of is that you are genuinely trying many servers and not just the top three or four...

Better still, go to the website ownd by your favourite network and have a look at their server list thn issue the /server <server name here> command in mIRC.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
also read this thread

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Thanks for the page info!

I'm using xp, but how do I make sure the default win xp firewall isnt blocking the ports needed in running the program?

Its the same with my trial version of ICQ lite, it comes back with the same 'cannot connect to server' 'type of message all the time, so it seems like its surely the same problem.

I'm sure it's something simple that needs switching off or adjusting!Hopefully.

I know someone else who is using mIRC on xp, but they've had no problems.

My computer is a fairly new xp pc, and im running norton antivirus+firewall programs, and have made no adjustments with regards to the default settings they use. I hope someone can help me with my problem... thanks very much

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It's bad practice to run two firewalls on the one machine, I would be choosing either the XP firewall or Nortons, but not both.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I agree with Watchdog, xp's firewall dislikes having another one running and that may be the cause of your problem. Disable one of them and see if that fixes it.

You can find a tutorial on xp's firewall at http://toidyman.net/xp-dcc/

Note that your firewall should be allowing mIRC access to begin with, and also ports 6660-6669,7000-7001 and 113 for identd as well as some within the 1024-5000 range if you want to be able to dccsend (then put the ones you chose in mirc's dcc options)

Just as an FYI, in file/options/connect/firewall, leave it set to none. that doesnt apply to the type of firewall you are running.

Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
thanks for the tutorial

I disabled norton firewall, and configured mIRC through windows network/firewall settings via the tutorial, but I keep getting the same old message:

'Local Host 127.0.0.1
Unable to resolve server
Connect retry #20 irc.ircchat.tk (6667)'

...again and again...
This is driving me mad...or maybe Im too stupid in not being able to set this up properly.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
I just connected to irc.ircchat.tk (6667) and it connected me to kona.ma.us.ircchat.tk. Did you try the servers i suggested in other thread you started? (see why i asked you to keep them in one thread <g>)

Are you at school or something that could be blocking IRC?
What is showing in localinfo boxes?
are you on a lan/networked?

Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I am trying to use it at home, the only computer I have which isnt on any network. My IP address is 127.0.0.1
which is what was showing in the Local Info 'IP address' entry once I configured my xp firewall to work with mIRC using the guide that was given to me here.

'Local host' and 'server' were selected automatically in 'Local Info'.

I tried all possible server and ip connections, and have the same problems connecting with kazaa lite++ and ICQ lite, so I know for certain these connection problems with all of these programs stem from the same common problem, its just that I dont know what it is I need to do to fix it on my computer.
The same 'unable to connect (connection refused' keeps coming up again and again.

I thought it must be an obvious problem with my firewall program, so I tried disabling norton firewall and just running the xp one(configuring the xp one to work with mIRC using the guide), but that didnt work, and as a last resort, I disabled both, which didnt help either.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
your ip address isnt 127.0.0.1 thats an internal ip address ... it thats what your getting as an ip address that is exactly why your not able to download things ... also in a previous post u said u use norton firewall and xp firewall? WHY? disable the xp firewall if u have norton. then find out why your unable to obtain an outside IP address.

D3m0nnet.com
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I didn't mean I used both firewalls at once, I meant I tried using each seperately to see if I could use either one of them with the mIRC program.

I tried disabling norton and the xp firewalls ( in seperate circumstances) to see if mIRC would then work, incase one of them was blocking the connection, but it doesnt help.

My IP is 81.131.68.248 after setting mIRC to work with the xp firewall(only) but the connnection is always refused.

I would like to know why I am unable to obtain an outside IP address, but dont know how I go about it at all.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
im referring to this

Quote:
I am trying to use it at home, the only computer I have which isnt on any network. My IP address is 127.0.0.1

no ones ip is that. thats a local ip

now since its returning a valid ip ... now u need to tell us what connection refused message? and where are u trying to connect? those 2 things can also be helpfull in diagnosing this problem

D3m0nnet.com
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Yeah, I found out what my Ip address was eventually, which was entered automatically with mIRC when I set it up for (using only) the xp firewall).

I tried connecting to alot of the servers that are listed in mIRC, random US IRCnet servers etc, but nothing will work no matter what I select on the list.

My machine blocks connections with everything on loads of programs I have on my machine such as mIRC, even though I do have, as you say, a valid IP address, and switching off all my firewalls doesnt help either.

It says, as an example,
'connection refused, retry #1 irc.dal.net (6666)'
-the number in brackets keeps going up by 1-

Its not where I connect to, its what is blocking my computer from accessing mIRC in general

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok have u tried something other than the roundrobin servers for these networks? some of them are not working at the moment .. im not sure what dalnets working server list is at the moment .. but a good place to try would be dalnets website altho i do see alot of ppl saying they use

acool.ga.us.dal.net

a dalnet servers list is located at

http://www.dal.net/servers/index.php3

hopefully that will get u connected also u may wanna try different ports other than 6666

D3m0nnet.com
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Thanks for all this advice on mIRC by the way.

I'll try as many servers as I can.

I think on some help guide, possibly the mIRC one, I heard that 6660 onwards were the most common ports people use for mIRC, I may be wrong, but since the new KazaaLite++ program and ICQ programs dont work either, I can only assume that something is blocking these ports from 6660 onwards.

Could it be my norton programs, or something in XP that isnt letting me access mIRC from these ports?

Hey, Im not really sure if anything Im on about makes that much sense, but I know many people that have XP and followed the same guides found here to get mIRC to work, and they have no problems at all

Link Copied to Clipboard