mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
Hello all,
I know that information about configuring Mirc and a router are all over this message board. I have read and followed all of the ones that might fix my problem. All to no avail.

I am trying to connect to Mirc through my router, however, on a connection attempt to ANY Irc service, I recieve "Unable to resolve server".
I read the manual to my router and it says that you can make a application a "special application" to try and make it connect. It offers me to manually open ports for incoming and outgoing application requests. So I created some ports:
INCOMING
TYPE: UDP
RANGE: 3000-3005

OUTGOING
TYPE: TCP
RANGE: 3006-3011

Then I changed Mirc's default port to 3006 and the port for EFNet's properties to 3006.
However, none of this seems to work I have been at this for over 2 hours with no luck. If someone has a Siemens 2426 Router and has gotten Mirc to work, please tell me what you have done, or if you think you have any tips or an answer.
Thanks in advance,
WinMasterXP

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
INCOMING:
TYPE
: [color:#333399]TCP

RANGE: 113[/color]

This is the AUTH port used by mIRC without which some servers will not allow connections. Commonly referred to as IDENTd.

INCOMING/OUTGOING:
TYPE
: [color:#333399]TCP

RANGE: 3000-3011

File/Options/DCC/Options/DCC Ports/First: [3000] Last: [3011][/color]

As you can see, these ports will be used by mIRC to DCC Send files to or DCC Chat with someone.

Neither of these two settings, however, affect your DNS. Your problem lies in the fact that you are not able to receive DNS responses, or you don't have a primary name server set up at all. DNS is Domain Name Service. It is responsible for converting www[/b].mirc.[/b]com into its IP address so your browser can send a TCP packet across the web to mirc.com's web server. The same is true for IRC servers. If you are trying to access an IRC server and you cannot convert it's named address into its IP, you will get the * Cannot resolve IRC server error message. You might try using the IP of an actual server and see if you can connect directly.

For instance, to get on kernel-c.dal.net, you can use /server 198.31.210.181 ... I have acted as your DNS server and turned kernel-c.dal.net into an IP for you to connect to.

Can you use your browser to surf the web? It uses DNS as well.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
W
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
Hammer,
Thanks, I got out just fine to winbeta by using their IP address... So it must be a DNS error which is funny cause IE works fine no problem with DNS..its just Mirc..I will figure it out eventually...thanks for your info...

Link Copied to Clipboard