Print Thread
#36805 17/07/03 06:15 AM
V
Vfraz Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
V
I got banned from irc.gameslink.net for insecure proxy for 30 years what does that mean and y was I banned I didnt do any thing at all! I have only been in that server once.

#36806 17/07/03 06:33 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
if you arent the one with an insecure proxy then it could be someone with an ip similar to yours that caused the ban. go to that network's website and look for info to see if it can be worked out. They should also have info explaining "insecure proxy"

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#36807 17/07/03 06:47 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
They could have a security bot which automatically bans such users and the bot's database could simply be out of date. There is a slight chance that you may have inherited the IP of what was once a proxy server.

Another thing to check is... Do you run a proxy of your own such as WinRoute, WinGate, etc? If so then you may have some ports open which need to be closed. Most networks check for insecure hosts by probing ports 80, 81, 23, 1080, 3128 and 8080. Some check more but this is more timeconsuming too. Having an insecure host running not only leaves you liable to being banned, but also allows people to 'bounce' off your machine (inheriting your IP) to avoid bans.

Proxy detectors work by seeing you trying to connect to IRC, then trying to connect to your machine on the above-mentioned ports, then if that is successful the detector tries to connect back to itself to confirm an open path (insecure host) which then resuls in the ban taking place. A bot on the other hand just has a database of IP addresses stored in a has table. If your IP matches a token in the hash table you get banned.

As Parabrat said, try emailing the administrator of the network you want to use and quote the IP you were using at the time you got banned.

Link Copied to Clipboard