mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
No they get messages in their system logs of "connection attempt from 1.2.3.4" over and over again.

N
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
N
im afraid thats how it is when you have multiple clients. Some things can never be added for fear that others who use a different client cant use it. I dont see this feature having a large impact however.

Bama as for the sock portion its not that difficult if the person cannot be connected to then they simply dont get the typing msg. Another larger issue is this..

You in a channel of maybe 1500 people (unless you use several sockets only one at a time can send the typing method). If you do use multiple sockets how would you be able to cleanly display the some 84 people who are all typing a message? Im sure an echo wont do it.

Have Fun smile
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Not to mention that Windows has a limit on the number of sockets that can be opened by a single program, and that limit is well below 1500.

R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
didn't really read every post but my idea is that it should only be a query/dcc chat type of thing. this shouldn't be sent to channels or anything. you would also have to try and figure you a way to not flood the servers with this, maybe some kinda direct send to the client kinda thing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The only way fit (without a server flood) is with sockets. The only problem is that unless u have a user's ip you can't do it. Thats not such a bad thing with servers like dalnet where it's in plain sight, or is a hostmask that can be resolved, but servers with the mask-????? prefix are near impossible.

I did make a ctcp method that implys a message on every mode change. It has minimal notices, and only sends when a mod is altered. So far i have it join a channel, and apon join /ctcp # TYPING CHECK all users. Those who have my script will reply TYPING OK and so I add them to my list. Now, i have a list %typing.notify1 (1 being connection id--already thinking multi-server support) Anyways, now on a mode change it does /ctcp %typing.notify1 TYPING TRUE|FALSE|IDLE and the user(s) on the other end are aware of my status.

I did happen to intergrate it into my status bar, and it works nicly. I have three ppl testing with me and it seems to be very nice. Noone that doesn't have the script is noticed (other than the initial check) and those with it are told what's going on.

Anywas, enough advertising. I think its completly capable to do without a flood, and is faily practical. If your interested in a release, let me know by pm. I'l send it your way so you can help debug/improve apon it.

-KingTomato
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
The only way I can see this beging done is with DCC chat only though the DCC sock.

If only women came with popup menus and online help.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, but do you really want to dcc with everyone in the channel just so u can "XXX is typing"? I sure as hell wouldn't.

-KingTomato
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
What? DCC everyone in the channel? What are you talking about?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am referring to having the typing statuis being as global as possible. This being that all users in the channel should have the opportunity to see the typing status. The way your implying is that only DCC windows will have it, where as im saying you don't need dcc. And even so, if you wanted a whole room to be aware of you status you'd have to connect with the whole room.

-KingTomato
O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
How would you expect it to be displayed?
Nick1 is typing
Nick2 is typing
ect.
I can't see that working.
I was implying that only dcc chat would be able have it because I dont see it working anywhere else though server messages.

O
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
O
Channel CTCP maybe 1 method but it would be a night mare on a channel with 200+ users CTCPing with every keystorke.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Actually as I explained I have three ppl trying my scripts, and my status bar reads "nick1, nick2, and nick3 are typing" >:D

In addition, I also said that on join i ctcp the first time to do a referance of who has the capability of accepting a typing status. From there, it adds the names of those who will accept my modes passed, and ctcp them, and only them, on mode changes.

-KingTomato
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard