Print Thread
S
some1 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
I read some article about it, but no one put it this way smile

mIRC need bandwidth throttling for DCC per session and complete DCC traffic.
It's important for slower connections like modem/ISDN.
Just like WinMX and download/share programs.
It should be able to throttle each DCC conenction
and like sum of all DCC connections should be throttable to some value.

Hope that developers will read this thread

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
mIRC is not a p2p filesharing system. mad

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
personally don't care about it.
but those who say mirc is a chat program or mirc is not a <xxxx> program...
[censored] you all and use telnet

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
mIRC -> mu Internet Relay Chat, hmm that sounds so much like a file sharing system...

As for the idea it couldn't hurt to have it added.

C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
C
> mIRC -> mu Internet Relay Chat, hmm that sounds so much like a file sharing system

Then why have DCC at all? I think the "its a chat client, chat clients don't do that" excuse that gets used here constantly is pretty silly especially since it contradicts a lof the features that it already has (such as dcc file transfer).

Making excuses instead of listening projects yourself as less than professional in the software development world. I realize these comments are not made by Khaled, but the attitudes of the key posters in this forum reflect strongly on the entire community and it is the reputation of the community that needs to be upheld.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That comment was in response to Larra's post, and it was correct, mIRC isn't a file sharing system. Yes, it has filesharing options, but it's primary use is as a chat program. Note I didn't say it was a terrible idea, I said it couldn't hurt to be added.

I suggest you read the post above mine if you are looking for someones attitude to complain about.

I also suggest you take note that I never said I was proffessional, and I'm not, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

A
Axe Offline
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Personally, I think this is a great idea.

I conference with clients all the time over IRC and we transfer files to accomplish our work. When working from home over cablemodem, with only a 16K/sec max upstream, my bandwidth can get choked real easily when sending large images (10Meg+) or applications to be approved by clients.

When your upstream is maxed out on a cablemodem, there's no bandwidth left for downloads (including text from an IRC server). Connections time out, major lag starts to happen, browsing the web becomes impossible.

I do agree that mIRC isn't a "filesharing program" in the sense that something like.. well, I don't need to name the programs... but it's file sharing ability is invaluable to many people other than warez kiddies smile

Axe
--
The box said "Requires Windows 98 or Higher". So, I installed Linux.
S
some1 Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Well, comments like "MIRC isn't P2P program" is, how to say this, stupid.
If car manufactures think like theRat or Collective, car that you could buy now wouldn't have air condition, stereo, comfortable chair, etc cos' car is for driving not for listening to music and stuff ...

What would heart you if there is one more option?
If you don't wanna use it leave it in thair default value.

Problem for me is slow connection (read modem) and when someone sends me file over DCC, communiction over IRC with 30sec+ lag is annoying, ant this feature would make it more comfortable.

Just hope that developers read this crazy

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote Some1:
What would heart you if there is one more option?
If you don't wanna use it leave it in thair default value.

Quote Collective:
As for the idea it couldn't hurt to have it added.

Read posts before you comment on them..I didn't say it shouldn't be added, I said it wouldn't hurt. Don't twist my words. Doing that is "how to say this, stupid."

Link Copied to Clipboard