mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
HI. My name is Justin, I have been using IRC for years now, mIRC rather. I live In SoCal. Anyway, my verizon DSL modem works great.. I have formatted several times since I have had it (viruses, other problems) but the point is it seems like i get disconnected from my DSL everytime I install MIRC. So basically I start my computer fresh, and I can be on AIM (AOL Instant Messager) for days and days, but then when I installed mIRC I get disconnected and I just stop my connection, it stops my connection rather, I get logged off AOL, AIM and MIRC, and my internet doesnt work, the only way to fix this is to wait (it could be hours) or I can simply turn off computer, unplug the DSL and wait 30 seconds then plug it back on, Wait for 3 lights to come back on, then turn on commp and my DSL is working fine until the next time I get disconnected (which usually happens randomly, no exact time frame but about 24 hour intervals) I have a feeling its mIRC that is doing this to my connection, I would love to be online for WEEKS , (which my DSL provider says I will *always be on*) Anyone know whats going on? I am desperate!

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
how often does this happen?

wyx Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
it is disconnect after u install mirc???/
did you check you dsl card???

-= Win 95 Virusses =-
-= Try To Infecting Virus =-
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Do you have a router? (more than 1 pc hooked together?)

When your DSL gets disconnected, do you come back to IRC with a new IP number?
My dsl modem has lights for 'outbound packets, inbound packets, & connection to the 'office'.... when these disconnects occur, are you seeing red/green similar lights ?

You say, "i get disconnected from my DSL everytime I install MIRC"
Is mIRC installed or not ?

You mention past virus, have you reformateed and reinstalled everything from 'fresh' or from a restore date, or a back up ??

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok well ya know im behind a router and a hub on my network ..... and i also was getting disconnected totally from the internet for a bit after i installed mirc this last time ..... im using xp pro with the SP1 installed .... if that helps .... but yeah my internel connection totaly drops if im idle for a bit ..... also ive noticed while chatting on mirc if i check mail via Outlook it will disconnectme from the servers im on ... altho this only happens when ive switched from one mail account to another ..... and lastly ....... the way ive gotten around a idle timeout and it dropping the connection is a simple anti idle script .... that and various other things ive added to my mirc ..... anyhow i know it isnt the answer but welp maybe its a start to an idea of where to figure out the trouble ... btw im not on dsl im on cable modem so i dont have to switch off the cable modem and wait for it to reboot ..... mine doesnt loose the connection on the cable modem but ingeneral my whole pc .... nothing else on the network

D3m0nnet.com
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
Depending on the software you use to interface between the PC and the ISP, the internet isn't 'always on'. I have WinPoet, and in fact that disconnects you for idle time. Read thru the ISP/modem software options, or call their help desk.

There are 2 ways to 'disconnect'. 1) mIRC disconnects or gets disconnected from the server... 2) Your isp/Internet connection disconnects. If #2 is happening, then this isn't a mIRC related problem. Simply looking away from mIRC to get your email certainly shouldn't be a consideration as to why a server would drop you. Try other servers.
I have DSL on a network, I will leave my pc and even my house for days at a time and Im still connected. Chances are, you have to tweak your own pc/connection for the answer to your problems. While we can point you in the right direction, there isn't a simply answer that fits everyone's pc/ISP setup, it's going to take research and reading on your part.

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
First of all,

i dont use any software for my DSL, i plug in the DSL, and when I Format , i dont install anything im just online. And basically what i meant was I was online for like weeks Straight before i installed mirc, now i get disconnected from my whole internet connection RANDOMLY but its about every 20-40 hour intervals. No i am not on a network, and not on a router. Its just myself and my computer it has to be mirc, Mirc is installed now, i download music and such all the time, im not gonna install it because i need it, but i would like to know why it is causing my disconnections.

i also am on WINDOWS XP PRO but i dont have service pack 1 installed. i have a pirated version of XP that loads a registery crack everytime i load windows, so when i updated to SP1 one time, i couldnt load windows it [censored] with my crack... so i dont download that SP1 anymore..

Anyone else have any advice/ideas now that i provdied some more info? mirc doesnt have to be running when i get disconnected, my internet just dies down and then just dead.

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
fss, a whole host of idea's runs though my head, but mIRC isn't one of them smile

You plug in dsl and you're 'on line' ? How does your password get validated with your DSL carrier ? Something's missing from the equation here. You have a nic card in your pc, and you have a dsl modem, but no software for them to interface ??

Can you connect to mIRC, join a network, with a nickname not known to anyone and just sit but not be on a channel... basically, join so 'NO ONE' knows your there... let it sit and see if the disconnect still happens. Or, better yet, keep mIRC closed, open up a web page that auto refreshes, and just leave it, see if your dsl disconnects you

mIRC isn't 'killing' your dsl connection, is what Im getting at. In order to figure out exactly what is happening, you need to isolate each step in your connection process. I don't run XP, I won't touch XP with a 40' pole, so if the problem is XP related, I"m afraid someone else will have to offer suggestions. However, I do run DSL, I have had extensive ... situations with mine, so that aspect I can continue to offer you help, but ultimately a) Your DSL is dropping you. b) Something outside your system is 'disconnecting you' because it truly shouldn't be (and really couldn't be) mIRC 'doing' this. Let's have you do the above steps and keep digging at this. Maybe others have some suggestions as well.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
i also am on WINDOWS XP PRO but i dont have service pack 1 installed. i have a pirated version of XP that loads a registery crack everytime i load windows

fssmetal: I know someone that tried that trick once and it could have been me, I forget now. The crack was also a DDoS trojan :-þ In any case it could possibly be that your 'copy' of Windows is a dud, as they often are.

Windows XP is the most stable and useful version of Windows ever. When it is the genuine product and installed on an NTFS partition it's just as stable as any OS can be. When you rip it difficulties can arise even if you don't get sued for it.

Karen: Windows XP is nice, you should try it hehe. BTW, I am assuming that 'plugging in' DSL means using a router, but I agree with you that fssmetal will need to confirm this.

K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
watchdog, orginally, my DSL came straight out of the wall, and plugged into my NIC card, but I still had software to log into my DSL account.

Yes, 'now' I have a router, so the set up is different, but the DSL accout still has a username/password that the router software passes for me.

According to fss, he is just plugging the DSL into the nic card w/out any software.

You can keep XP, thankyouverymuch smile

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
i trojan in my book is something that sends out stuff to someone else from your comp, i have had no problems with that and i highly doubt this copy is a trojan, nothing has ever happened to me with that effect. And yes, i plug in my dsl to my ethernet card and i turn on comp and im online. dont know why, but i can be online forever until i install MIRC then problems arise so how can you say its not MIRC?

Quote:
Can you connect to mIRC, join a network, with a nickname not known to anyone and just sit but not be on a channel... basically, join so 'NO ONE' knows your there... let it sit and see if the disconnect still happens. Or, better yet, keep mIRC closed, open up a web page that auto refreshes, and just leave it, see if your dsl disconnects you

makes no sense to me, what do you mean they dont know im there? want me to connect and you do a WHOIS on me?

Last edited by fssmetal; 25/12/02 03:18 AM.
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
You continue to avoid the questions and the help steps I offer to you. This is how you trouble shoot, you start from the very basic items, and try to track down where the problems are.

mIRC, downloaded from mirc.com/get.html does not disconnect people from DSL connections.

All DSL carriers I know of, require you to authenticate yourself with a user name and password. Perhaps you can ask your parents how your DSL carrier handles the authentication process.

I asked you to join a network, and stay unidentified to everyone to see if you can remain on line. Perhaps someone is doing something to disconnect you once you get to the network.

The problems you are having are not 'normal', nor experienced widespread by others. You're going to have to do work to solve your problem. If you are unwilling to do the work, then no one here will be able to help you.

As for me, it is nearly Christmas day and I will be celebrating with my family.

Happy Holidays.

K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
if his ISP uses DHCP there is no password authentication. When i reformat with XP, i dont have to install any DSL software/nic software as XP already knows about that stuff and configures my 'puter to the correct settings. I dont have to do any authentication as its either built into the dsl modem, or something like that, who knows :0 all i know is i dont have to do anything to get online smile i am always on, 24/7/365.

keek: Scots - intr.v. keeked, keek·ing, keeks
To peek; peep.
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
karen , my parents dont know anything about computers, i am the computer 'genious of the family' i build computers repair them and install all the software and OS's. I guess this problem is beyond my knowledge, if you say someone is doing something to my connection while i am online that can't be right because i havent been on iRc for 2 weeks now and i get disconnected almost every night, so how could someone be doing that to my connection? i dont know im almost gonna give up.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Sorry to hear you're still having problems, but in addition the steps Karen has already suggested, I would strongly advise a virus scan. If you're using a pirated copy of XP you have no idea what's loading in addition to the OS - you said yourself it has a registry crack built into it. Furthermore, if you're now getting disconnected daily, I would take that up with your isp. I'd even go so far as to say get rid of XP and reformat your hard drive, and get yourself a new, unpirated copy of Windows whatever. Then do a clean install of mIRC once you've sorted everything else out. Warez are dangerous, imho. I very much doubt your problems have anything at all to do with mIRC.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
K
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
K
if you say someone is doing something to my connection while i am online that can't be right because i havent been on iRc for 2 weeks now and i get disconnected almost every night, so how could someone be doing that to my connection?

fss, this is what I was trying to say above. We don't know why your getting disconnected, nor what you have tried already. The steps you take to trouble shoot need to be followed, you cannot just post here and expect someone to automatically solve your problem, since there are so many possibilities.

The things we know, for sure....
  • A fresh, legitimate copy of mIRC, doesn't disconnect people from their ISP connections.
  • You have a pirated copy of Xp on your system.
  • You have some sort of illegal crack on your system.
  • You have had several virus over the last few years and have reformatted several times.
  • Your DSL connection drops at various times, sometimes for hours, sometimes if you unplug the line and plug back in, it works.
  • Your DSL connection drops even when you aren't using mIRC.

My conclusion is that your DSL provider is where you should be directing your query. I do not think your situaiton has a single thing to do with mIRC.

Good luck.

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
hmm, personally, i dont have dsl, i am just on a crappy dial up,(crapy, but good as i can stay on for days laugh)

i also run window XP pro, great os, no not pirated wink

i just basicaly have a comment to this:

Quote:
if you say someone is doing something to my connection while i am online that can't be right because i havent been on iRc for 2 weeks now and i get disconnected almost every night, so how could someone be doing that to my connection?

When you say that, i may be wrong, but mirc is IRc right, so if your not on irc for the last two weeks,(not on mirc) but have still been getting disconnected daily, then may i ask how it is mirc disconnecting you if you havent been on it?

certain mirc will not, and cannot disconnect you if it isnt running?

maybe i misunderstood what you said, but thats what it sounded like to me(no irc = no m"IRC")?

Link Copied to Clipboard