mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Y
Look I have been using irc for like 8 years and just had to switch to another server cause dalnet went under. I cannot download off xdcc bots. I have looked at all the posts. NONE OF THEM WORKED. NONE OF THEM. I have tried everything from changing my dcc ignore to disable, /dccallow +nick turning off my xp firewall (no others just that one) rebooting after that just for fun, and nothing is working please don't say read the other posts. That isnt working. Someone who knows another answer besides read the prior posts please help me.

With a gun in your mouth you speak only in vowels. T.D.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
First off DALnet did not go under. It is alive and well, but the "Random dalnet server" link 'went under'. You need to use a specific link found at www.dal.net. Secondly, do you have a router. You mentioned you do not have another firewall, but what about a router. Or do you go through a proxy maybe? You also could have anti-virus software that runs as a firewall that you are unaware of as well.

-KingTomato
Y
OP Offline
Y
I have no router no proxy no anti-virus. I can download mp3s mpg mpeg avi zips just no .rar .tar things like that and like I said I have disabled my dcc ignore and I /dccallow +nick. So... thanks for dalnet's new thing but there is a daggone download I want and I can't get it. any other suggestions

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
kazaa,imesh?

new username: tidy_trax
Y
OP Offline
Y
no thank you...
kazaa has a worm in the program
and I love irc. Around 8 years and still loving it.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Indeed.

After 8 years, you would have most likely worked out the fact that IRC is an acronym. You may also realise what it stands for:

Internet Relay Chat

That's "chat" - for chatting - this is not the same as downloading off XDCC bots illegally!

It's annoying how many people use mIRC as a file sharing program...very annoying. As far as I know, it was NOT designed for this. Sure, the DCC function was implemented so people could send and receive files (i.e. pictures, text files, whatever) but not the latest movies which aren't out on DVD/Video yet!

So, I'm sure if you put as much hard work and effort into getting help with your problem, as you do into finding and downloading files, you can find a solution for your problem somewhere - mirc.com is not the only place on the Internet with DCC help. Search www.google.com, or instead, simply don't download! grin

I presumed someone was going to do the "mIRC isn't for downloading" speech, so I thought this time it would be me wink

Happy chatting!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
kazaa doesnt hav a worm in the program, its more likely there was a worm in a file

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No wonder you get viruss ofter, your uneducated. >:D

-KingTomato
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
confused

Y
OP Offline
Y
Mentality/Chris

Get off your high horse. I am not trying to download a movie, if I wanted a movie I can download one, but a regular file like you said yourself is an actual part of mIRC. I know what mIRC was started for and what it was used for. That was before things in the world got cool. People had to pay $16.00 for a CD, 10.00 was wasted on a crappy movie in the theater and 15.00 was wasted on candy, popcorn and a drink. Now if I like what I see from a download I go spend the money. If not I don't loose out but a couple hours of my day. Excuse me for trying not to spend all my money on stuff I don't want. I really don't care what you do with your time on there so why should you care what I do with mine? If you can't help me please don't reply to my question. Thank you. And if anyone else has any actual "solutions" to my problem I would appreciate it very much.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Your two posts are a bit confusing. You say you cant d/l off xdcc bots, then you say you can d/l various files types but not .rar or .tar. It isnt clear if its only certain file types you are having a prob with/ all files from a or all bot(s)/ Certain file types from a certain sender. Have you considered the sender may be the one with the prob? Some addon is at fault? Or do you just expect to give us a lil info and we will jump to make it easier for you to get an illegal file? At this point i have no clue what you are asking, only your justification of illegal filesharing (which implies the one you want comes under that heading).

There was no need to jump all over another poster for his reply to you. When you post on a public forum you accept the poss that you may not like what someone else says. We are here to help with mIRC specific probs, not to solve the probs of misconfigured bots whose sole purpose is generally to share illegal files or to support illegal filesharing. If you are having probs with a specific file type(s) or with how vanilla mIRC is reacting to them, thats one thing. If the bot sender is having a prob, or an addon has caused probs, that not something we can help with, nor do we want to. Just as you can do as you wish with your free time, so too can this forum and its users have a policy of not being illegal filesharing assistance central.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
no thank you...
kazaa has a worm in the program

So does alot of the garbage available from fserves. :tongue:

Y
OP Offline
Y
Once again I say if you can't help or don't "want" to help then please don't reply. And I didn't "jump" all over that poster. I accepted what that person said and replied to them. I believe I have that right to. I accepted that if they didn't want to help me then to keep out of it. I don't need a preacher I need a helper. Now to answer you other question about my illegal download. I believe it to be on my side of the situation. I can download certain file types from everyone. But the .rar and .tar files don't seem to want to go through after I /dcc ignore off and /dccallow +nick. Now a weird thing happened last night I actually got a connection and a download for a .tar file off one person but only one person. I tried it again off someone else and it didn't work. I got the dcc pending msg. It just doesn't make sense.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
With that type of attitude, you will be lucky to even get any assistance from anyone. People here reserve the right to not help anyone, or to post their comments....Its a public forum Deal with it. If you don't get help here, go somewhere else and ask (preferably a website of known governent agencies i.e the FBI).

If you don't like our answers, who cares, some of us here dislike users who insist on breaking copyright laws. Using mIRC for that purpose is a disgrace to a great chat client...I for one will not help you and i'm sure many others won't either...just be glad you even got a response! mad

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i started to get paranoid and deleted it anyway

Y
OP Offline
Y
Hey pheonix if it has a worm in it then you wont be able to get rid of it just by uninstalling it. I'm sure it has rooted itself deep down into your PC. Hiding itself from you and uninstaller.

Now the other guy, The Game.

You should wake up and realize that you are in the past. mIRC is being used for everything. You cant do anything about it either. Quit your complaining. Get over it. You can't stop it. 98% of newbies download mIRC to fileshare. And I'll guess maybe more than 50% of them pay and register. I'll bet Khaled Mardam-Bey is just tickled to death to get that money owed to him. I'll bet he isn't sitting around complaining about people sharing files. He's happy he's getting a check.

That's why your [deleted by moderator]. Great, you can post a reply to a newbie helping them out getting started. That's great. Kudos for you. But you can't help out someone in need of an actual problem consisting of filesharing that 90 ***** 9 percent of the people using mIRC are doing. I don't care if you know 10,000 people that only chat on mIRC. There are millions and millions and millions of other people that are downloading, sharing, and are just there to p**s you off.

To everyone that want's to post a reply about my "illegal" activities, I want to get it out of the way right now. Your [deleted by moderator] too. There its out in the open. We all know how I feel and how you feel. I honestly don't want to act like this but you don't seem to be able to read my post and then turn away. You need this in your life. It makes you feel special somehow. Goodie for you. But if you can't help me then just turn around and go look for a newbie that needs help getting onto a server. Cause guess what. He is going to go and download that new album that he heard was kicka**. He just needs a little help from his friends here at mIRC Thank you for preaching me into believing that your all [deleted by moderator], except KingTomato, because he actually tried to help me.

Thank you and goodnight.

Last edited by ParaBrat; 22/06/03 06:10 AM.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
" I actually got a connection and a download for a .tar file off one person but only one person." "But you can't help out someone in need of an actual problem "
Does this not indicate to you that the problem is not with mIRC, not with you, but with the senders involved? If you can get a file type from one person, you are capable of getting that filetype thru mIRC. What you describe is very common from misconfigured bots/clients and is on their end, not yours. There is nothing you can do to fix them.

[ "I'll bet he [Khaled] isn't sitting around complaining about people sharing files."
From Khaled's FAQ :
Question: How do you feel about the fact that some people use mIRC to distribute copyright/illegal material? or to harm others?
Answer: There is a common misconception that I'm able to prevent people from doing these things. That's not the case. I don't have or host any IRC networks, servers, or channels.
mIRC is only a client-side software that allows you to connect to public IRC networks around the world, in the same way that Internet Explorer allows you to connect to public websites around the world.
I'm not happy about the fact that some people use mIRC in a negative way, however mIRC is used by many people, there will always be a some people who use it in ways with which I don't agree.

"You cant do anything about it either. Quit your complaining. Get over it."
Since it has apparently escaped you, this forum has a policy of not helping or supporting illegal filesharing. We dont care how many ppl do it, we help all the ones who end up with trojans as a result, but, again, "Just as you can do as you wish with your free time, so too can this forum and its users have a policy of not being illegal filesharing assistance central. " Of course we are well aware we cant stop all ppl from doing this, but we can and do educate ppl as to the dangers/illegality and refuse to support it.

Since ppl who dont happen to agree with you voiced their opinions (as did you) you reacted with namecalling and insults. There is no need for that and as you can see from my editting, it isnt tolerated. Now either reply with common courtesy and without insulting ppl who spend a lot of their time helping users with a wide variety/complexity of issues, or go away.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
well just let me worry about that thanks, ive done 3 scans and deleted any registry it left behind

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
ok think of it from our point of view, maybe as much as 40% of filesharing contain trojans/viruses/worms, possibly even more, so thats why most people dont help, but considering you are being so ignorant i think maybe someone should help you with this, so that you do get a trojan, then you might finally understand why people were reluctant to helping you in the 1st place.
now after your last post though, i will be highly surprised if you get help with anything on this board, why did you feel the need to throw insults at everyone especially the game, remember this forum is all voluntary and people have the right to post their opinions in a civilized manner , maybe you should delete your account and go away, that will do everyone a favour. if you ever want help with something do you honestly think calling them a **** or whatever it was is gunna make them want to help you? no!, you should ask politely like most other people on this board do.
personally i gave myself a little reminder not to help you with anything because of your attitude, if you can be bothered to read all this, i hope you actually learn something. mad

p.s.
Quote:
That's why your [deleted by moderator].

so you obviously threw an insult at him? do you not realise how pathetic and petty that makes you look?

Quote:
Thank you for preaching me into believing that your all [deleted by moderator],

thats just idiotic if you stil expect help after calling everyone some childish names.

Quote:
You should wake up and realize that you are in the past. mIRC is being used for everything.

maybe so but mirc is still a chat client no matter what some people use it for.

Quote:
If you can't help me please don't reply to my question.

if you made this board then fair enough. but no you didnt, so stop with your ignorance and understand people can reply to your posts saying whatever they like.

last thing now, sorry to everyone else for the rambling,but youdontneedmp3's really annoyed me throwing out vicious insults at everyone just because we dont wanna help him get a virus =o\ mad

Last edited by pheonix; 22/06/03 05:52 PM.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:

You should wake up and realize that you are in the past. mIRC is being used for everything. You cant do anything about it either. Quit your complaining. Get over it. You can't stop it. 98% of newbies download mIRC to fileshare. And I'll guess maybe more than 50% of them pay and register. I'll bet Khaled Mardam-Bey is just tickled to death to get that money owed to him. I'll bet he isn't sitting around complaining about people sharing files. He's happy he's getting a check.

That's why your [deleted by moderator]. Great, you can post a reply to a newbie helping them out getting started. That's great. Kudos for you. But you can't help out someone in need of an actual problem consisting of filesharing that 90 ***** 9 percent of the people using mIRC are doing. I don't care if you know 10,000 people that only chat on mIRC. There are millions and millions and millions of other people that are downloading, sharing, and are just there to p**s you off.

No i'm not living in the past. I realize that you can do just about everything now compared to many years ago when IRC became available. Which includes illegal filesharing. Now I as an individual cannot stop it, but I can contribute my full support to slow down any filesharing across the IRC community. And I hope everyone who agrees with my point of views also contributes their support as well. There is a time and a place for those activities but IRC should not be one of those places. But thats just my personal view on that particular topic.

Now onto the insulting...

Wow did you think of all of those four-letter words all by yourself?...Or did you need the assistance of a 8 year old to come up with those witty insults? Do you have any concrete proof of your actual "percentage"? I highly doubt that 99% of mIRC users engage in filesharing...maybe 33.3% is more believeable. I could care less if people download to piss me off. They don't know me so I shouldn't give a flying f*** what they think.

Resorting to namecalling on this message board won't be tolerated (the deletion of your insults should have been a dead giveaway) that will not get you an answer to your problem any quicker if at all. I for one hope you receive a virus/trojan that completely trashes your hard drive just so you become educated as to why we have our opinions on filesharing. We often have to remind new users of the risks of illegal filesharing hoping they take that into consideration when the thought crosses their minds.

Yes some disregard our advice and do it anyways, and some decide to take our advice and not do so. I just hope many users decide to go the "right" way and use mIRC for its intended purpose which is chatting. I have stated before that I do hope the networks across IRC would tackle the filesharing issue and not allow those particular channels on their servers, to not only cut down on illegal fileswapping but also cut down the chances of users getting viruses/trojans in the process. Again this is just my opinion.

Would networks suffer in numbers if they actually did "outlaw" fileswapping on their servers? Yes of course they would. But also there are over 400 different networks to chat on. It would not be the "end of the world" if networks "outlawed" filesharing...there are other ways for users to "steal" from the media if thats what you want to do...my views are just only a hope that one day IRC would be "Crap free" and by that meaningless channels that condone fileswapping.

Again, this message board will probably not help you, considering what you want help with and your attitude toward not only myself but other members of this board.

*NOTE: Most of the above issues within this post are of my personal opinions and noone elses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard