Print Thread
#30717 18/06/03 11:24 PM
Z
zack Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Z
I posted about this issue some time ago, but I never really got anything fixed. I saw Khaled's new topic concerning memory leaks and what happened this morning concerns me.
It revolves around using the multi-server capibilites of mIRC with 6+; here is the situation.

You want to connect to Server A and Server B. You connect to Server A completely and there is no problem, you then proceed in connecting to Server B and there is no problems.
But say you have Server A and it's not connected, when you try and connect to Server B mIRC crashes and huge system lag occurs. This really occurs when you are on multiple servers (I am actually on 4) and you get disconnected from the Internet... as you can probably see all hell is gonna break lose and mIRC just can't handle it.
If I close all connections bar Server A (that is I close B, C, and D) and I then connect to A then proceed to connect to all the others in progression there is no problems.
The problem still occurs if you're connected to A and B but not C and you try and connect to D. Or if you're connected to A and C but not B and you try and connect to D. Any combination.... as long as at least one connection is not connected to a server.

What startled me this morning was that I woke up to find myself to have disconnected and reconnected to the Internet, and as you may have realised mIRC had crashed and not only had it used my entire 128MB of RAM but it had used over 1GB of virtual memory. I believe it would had used more if I didn't have 1.01GB of free space left on my hard drive (I normally have 3GB free for virtual memory).
Normally if you leave the system for about ~30 minutes the problem fixes itself and mIRC returns to normal, but I believe since the lack of system space it made mIRC die completely.
What I find also strange is that when I CTRL+ALT+DEL the mirc.exe, mIRC actually restores back to normal (quicker than normal) and I go "d'oh", perhaps Windows is releasing whatever problem it was in?

I am running an Intel P4 2GHz system, with XP Home and 128MB RAM. This issue has been occuring since mIRC 6 on new and old copies of mIRC with or without scripts loaded.
I am running a network connection to my other system, but this problem was occuring before this was put in place.

Hopefully someone can shed light on the situation... it gets really annoying when you have to reconnect to all servers manually...

I hope I've provided enough information this time... thanks for reading.

You won't like it when I get angry.
#30718 19/06/03 02:26 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
But say you have Server A and it's not connected, when you try and connect to Server B mIRC crashes and huge system lag occurs..

I'm not sure what you mean by 'server A not connected'? You mean I connect to a server, and then disconnect from it, and then when I open a connection in a new server window, mIRC crashes? I've never experienced that. If i'm wrong, How exactly do we reproduce this bug, step by step.

If the bug involves one connection 'hanging' you might be able to reproduce that step with a Socket script (ie, you /socklisten on port 6667 and connect yourself with mIRC and force it to hang somehow), so step by step instructions may still be possible.

#30719 19/06/03 08:18 AM
Z
zack Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Z
No one I've talked to has been able to reproduce it, and sadly I can't stop not reproducing it.

I will re-explain what I meant by that.

Open mIRC
A connection automatically loads, do not connect to it.
Type /server -m irc.someserver.com
New connection will open, and it will connect, when it completes connecting, ie when I get this message:
<06:11/p> -kernel.ga.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- This server runs an open proxy monitor to prevent abuse.
<06:11/p> -kernel.ga.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- If you see connections on various ports from 209.82.160.49
<06:11/p> -kernel.ga.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- please disregard them, as they are the monitor in action.
<06:11/p> -kernel.ga.us.dal.net- *** Notice -- For more information please visit http://kline.dal.net/proxy
mIRC crashes and doesn't 'uncrash' for some time. Hard drive is going mad due to virtual memory needed and system lag is intensive.
The same applies if you connect to the first server, then connect to the second server. All is fine, then you disconnect from both servers (such as a internet disconnection) and mIRC tries to reconnect to either or both and since there is at least one connection that isn't connected mIRC will crash and the whole process starts over again.

My system was really bad all day, even when I left it standing for about 8hrs without touching it. My system memory was really buggered and I had to restart, but even then my system was really laggy and the hard drive was going insane.
So I turned it off for about 5 minutes, came back and turned it back on and everything is back to normal (at least the hard drive is).

#30720 21/06/03 01:56 PM
Z
zack Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Z
Anyone can help me out?

Link Copied to Clipboard