mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
M
This is more than likely a Windows bug but I wanted to call attention to it here just in case it's some new thing they're doing that actually breaks the way mIRC draws its window.

OS Build: Windows 11 Enterprise Insider Preview Build 27695. (The Windows Canary Build, latest as of September 17th)

Upon resume after locking Windows + monitor sleep, the mIRC window is unresponsive and is usually fully white. Although sometimes it shows text but hasn't updated. Closing the window via the title bar is unresponsive, but right clicking the icon on the taskbar and closing usually works.

Reloading mIRC is fine, no other issues after closing and reloading.

This occurs after the monitor goes to sleep for an extended period of time while mIRC is drawn on the screen if I've locked Windows and left it there. If I minimize mIRC first, this does not occur.

If it matters, it's an Nvidia graphics card on the 561.09 driver. Although it was occuring for a few revisions before that.

Like I said, probably a Windows insider bug but it only seems mIRC is affected by this for me.

M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
I am also having this exact issue and I have no idea what is causing it. Started around the time I updated to 7.77. Frozen MIRC and I'm unable to even close it without going to task manager. Windows 11 home.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for your bug report. I have not been able to reproduce this issue here yet. I don't use the insider preview builds - as they usually have too many issues - so I tested this on Windows 7, 10, and 11.

To test this, I ran mIRC, left it open on the desktop, and then 1) Locked Windows or 2) Put Windows into Sleep mode (it wasn't clear which of these was causing the issue for you). In both cases, when resuming Windows, mIRC was running as expected.

I can't think of a reason why this would happen other than a Windows/graphics driver issue.

If you install mIRC, using the portable option in the installer, into a clean, empty folder, and test that, do you see the same issue?

If you type the following into mIRC:

/timer 0 1 beep 1

so that it beeps once a second, and then lock the computer, at which point does it stop beeping?

Link Copied to Clipboard