mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#269512 21/10/21 05:33 AM
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
been using mirc for a long time now and usually have like barely any window border.
after hitting the cascade button now my windows have chunky borders and I cant find a way to change it.

looking online it looks like there used to be a tools>option > display > options > style button but thats no longer there ?

K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K
It was removed in 7.65

07/05/2021 - mIRC v7.65

Changes:
5.The styles dialog has been removed. The channel nicklist sizing
bar now uses a standard width. The editbox and nicklist borders now
use standard Windows colors. Windows no longer use an internal frame.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
tools>option > display > options > style

That was for removing a single line border inside the window - it had nothing to do with the outside chunky border. There has never been an option to remove the outside chunky border.

MDI windows have always had thick borders eg. see here for an example of what mIRC looked like before Aero theme support was added in v7.65.

If you are referring to the the Aero theme support, you can find answers about that here.

The thick borders cannot be removed - they are a permanent part of how MDI windows works.

T
OP Offline
T
I'm talking about border around the irc channels.

if i do: "/window -d @example"
I get a window with barely any border, this is what all my irc channels used to look like.
[Linked Image from zoggy.net]

if i do: "/window @example"
then I get a window with chunky 5px width? border and thats what all my irc windows is using.

everything used to have no border until I clicked on the cascade button now all of a sudden everything is chunky frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC can display windows in two ways:

1) If the windows are displayed inside mIRC, which is the default, they will be MDI windows and will have thick borders. The "Cascade" feature is used to arrange MDI windows inside mIRC.

2) If the windows are displayed outside of mIRC, they will be desktop windows and will have thin borders.

If you were previously seeing windows with thin borders, this means that you set up mIRC to display your windows as desktop windows.

You can set them to display as desktop windows again either:

1) By opening the View menu in the menubar at the top of mIRC and selecting the Mode/Compact option.

2) By opening the Options dialog and, in Display/Options/Windows, setting windows to open as desktop windows.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the response.

I tried 'compact' and that was a bit jaring and never seen this view before, reverted back to normal.
Tried out the option to make channels to open as desktop windows, this gets things looking good but the side of effect of them being their own floating window and not contained within mirc is not ideal for me with how many channels I am apart of.

I had a copy of mirc 7.66 running on my laptop and loading that up I can confirm that using 'normal' and MDI windows there was no thick borders.

This is how 7.67 also was for me.. until I clicked on the cascade button and since then I've been stuck with the thick borders and cant undo it.

T
OP Offline
T
looking at that 7.66 instance I see its the window frame background color that is actually what changed. before it was same color as the channel window (white) so it made the window chrome less of a thing vs now. how does one change that?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
looking at that 7.66 instance I see its the window frame background color that is actually what changed. before it was same color as the channel window (white) so it made the window chrome less of a thing vs now. how does one change that?

This is a Windows setting and can be found in the Windows 10 Options, Personalization, Colors section. You may have chosen an accent color along with enabling the "Title bars and windows borders" option.

T
OP Offline
T
I can confirm that unchecking this window option did in fact clear out that border color in mirc:
settings > personalization > colors > Show accent color on the following surfaces -- uncheck "Title bars and window borders"

I can only assume that since I normally couple doing mirc upgrades when I reboot my pc for windows updates that an update enabled that option.
Thanks so much for the help, I was going crazy trying to decipher what setting changed to caused this for me.

Last edited by theraster; 24/10/21 11:09 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard