mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle. smile I looked around at topics that seemed similar but couldn't find anything that seemed on point.

I have been doing a Prog-Rock web radio show for 15+ years and we chat every Saturday night. Someone at the station set up the chatroom before I started there but it has been working fine all this time. Until... last Saturday night. We all started getting this message when trying to connect and eventually it just times out.

* Connect retry #94 irc.starchat.net (6667)
-
* Unable to resolve server
-
* Connect retry #95 irc.starchat.net (6669)
-
* Unable to resolve server ETC.

I don't know if suddenly a server was decommissioned or what happened but I thought that if anyone would know, YOU people would. Even though I've been chatting there all this time I know VERY LITTLE about how all this works so please explain it to me like I'm a 10 year old (with a beard). If I need to set up a new chat room please point me to some documentation that explains how to do it in easy terms.

Thanks in advance for your help!

kap Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I don't know anything about the StarChat network, but you can set up your own chatroom quite easily. Just pick a network and join a channel that doesn't exist already. Since you are the first user to join that channel, it will be created for you and you are now the operator of that channel! Preferably the network you choose will run some sort of network service (for example: ChanServ) that allows you to register that channel. That way you remain in control of the channel (set the topic, who gets operator status and who will be voiced or remain regular users, etc.) - even if you're offline.
Then all you have to do is tell everybody about the network to connect to and the channelname to join!

Hope this helps!

GNU Terry Pratchett - Looking for a mIRC help channel -> Check #mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net
K
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
K

P
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
P
Thanks guys, that was simple! I appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard