mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
I found a curious thing while beating my head on my desk over an error message.

Background: I have coded a small custom window to alert a user that certain things in the topic of a targetted channel window show certain services to be other than 'UP'.

The window is created by code in a raw 332 (or 322 if topic is displayed by a /list command), with service details filled in.

The nick of the user that edited the topic and time of editing, is then displayed via a raw 333 code fragment, thus having to overwrite 2 lines with that info.

A varient of this is On Topic, which also feeds to the 2 display alias codes.

I was trying to surround the messages within the custom window with a box surround effect (I miss the old IBM PC charset with those box effect characters) and thus the use of the $chr(127) detailed below.

The line (spaced out for readability)
Code:
 /scid %PTMcid //rline -h 5 @ServiceAlert 14 $+( $chr(124) , $chr(32) , %UpdateMsg , %Filler , $chr(124) ) 
fails with an error message of '* /rline: insufficient parameters (line 440,' etc.

while
Code:
  /scid %PTMcid //rline -h 5 @ServiceAlert 14 $+( $chr(124) , $chr(160) , %UpdateMsg , %Filler , $chr(124) ) 
works quite happily. The only difference is the $chr(32) breing replaced with $chr(160).

I'm guessing that since $chr(124) is the pipe character (|), and when the parser finds a space char, Schr(32), after that, it treats the pair as if it's a command pipe, rather than just two characters.

I'm not looking for any help on this, I just thought it might be useful for people to be aware of it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
/scid and /scon evaluate the string, so you'll also run into problems if your line contains words beginning with dollar signs or percents. For example, this shows the literal string starting with a dollar:

//echo -s $ $+ version

but if you use /scid, you'll find it evaluating the string before displaying it:

//scid $cid echo -s $ $+ version

You can also prevent evaluation like:

//scid $cid echo -s $eval( $ $+ version ,0)

or

//scid $cid echo -s $unsafe( $ $+ version )

E
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
E
Ahhhh so it was the /scid $cid part that was causing this.

Why does the parser behave like a liquor commercial -

we dont just double parse the line, we triple parse it for a purer form of confusion smile

Just kidding smile

Last edited by Erasimus; 26/05/19 10:00 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard